storage

what are your thoughts of onboard waterproof storage compartment for the peeler?

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: storage

I'm building a Peeler in April and I do plan on using some of the flotation cavities for storage. See Robert Meyer's build also. West marine has some waterproof storage hatches that can be planned into the flotation tanks. I know it sacrifices some of the positive flotation but offers a nice spot for some storage. Another thing I'm going to use are a couple of  hanging storage bags also from West Marine. The area under the mid thwart seat is open and could be used for some storage bins also or cooler. The fore peak under the seat also could be used for some storage. They must be waterproof when in the flotation areas,, as said, they will rob from positive flotation but the sealed compartment would still be there short of a collision. I'm not sure what the Coast Guard thinks of any of this though. Good luck.

Would it be possable. To build a encloser under the middle seat. Perhapse another bulkhead and a hatch in the middle thawart

I like polar bear's idea. That would offer a nice storage spot, better than my idea in the flotation. I still would put a small inspection port in each of the 3 flotation areas to check for condensation. Like a 6 inch round. I think Robert Meyer used these along with some storage compartments.

Here are some photos of the hatches and inspection ports on my Peeler. I used the small Beckson hatches and their 6" round ports. The are fairly good quality and are relative inexpensive - they also sometimes offer overruns and blemished units at give away prices. See their web site for details.

Well, after slow progress my Peeler build is finally completed. Lilah (after my Grandmother who taught me how to fish) gets mounted on the trailer tomorrow, gets her Yamaha 15hp engine installed and inspected by the Georgia DNR next week. It has taken me about 10 months of work with many interruptions along the way. I believe John Harris has designed a really simple yet beautiful boat with the Peeler. Good designs always look simple, yet the thought that went into this design required real talent and thought. Hope to pat John on the back in person someday soon. Will open a thread when I get photos of Lilah's first splash.

very nice job Robert Meyer. gives me some ideas. thanks for the pics

Looks good Robert. What kind of paint did you use on the floor?

Robert, the boat looks great!  I am getting ready to finish taping up my tanks. I have changed my mind and will also install these type of hatches!  Curious as to how much foam you kept in the bow compartment though.  I'm thinking leave enough space for an anchor and line?  The lost foam flotation can be somewhat replaced with some fenders, life jacket and a cooler!  I think I will move the aft hatches a few inches back so I can fit tackle boxes all the way down to the floor snuggly. Looking forward to more photos!  Bill

Ken - I just used my System Three 2 part poly paint mixed with Pettit 9900 skidless compound ( dry silicon dioxide ) A little goes a long way and produces a very textured surface.

Bill - I didn't fill the bow with any foam. I have been collecting small plastic bottles with screw-on caps which I keep in a bag in the bow. I can also use an old kayak bladder if necessary. I wanted to keep my anchor in the bow but my Danforth anchor won't fit easily behind the hatch. I wish I had purchased a folding anchor instead.

My aft hatches are small as I only plan on them holding my GPS - wallet -registration all in waterproof bags. The 4 cycle engine is awfully heavy and I want all the flotation I can get to keep her head above the water in a worse case.

Hi Robert, 

Was wondering what fishing rod holders for trolling you are going to use or install.  Or none at all?   With the seats so close to the gunnels, not sure what I am going to do, I wanted to use stainless flush mounts but they are all 9 inches deep or more, so I might put them close to the transom.  might build out and up a bit where I decide to mount them if I decide to go more forward.   I dont want to use the Scotty types that I used on my Kaholo and my Chesapeake 17.  Almost ready to install my seats, waiting for my hatches to come in.  I went with Bomars in black.  I am also putting in watertight fibreglass tubes up into the bow compartment as rod storage holders.  They will be glassed in, invisible except the opening and permanent. 

I haven't given trolling rod holders much thought yet, I'm just thinking to try different locations with a jury-rig holder and see where they intrude the least. I like your idea for putting rod holders in the forward seat. I was kicking around an idea for a hard T-top covering the aft seats with trolling rod tubes fix to it - or covering a center steering console  but it presents so many problems that need solving I git a headache. I'm back to having a really big Bimini top installed after having the skin doctor work on my sun damaged face this morning. I might just drop a worm over the side and see what comes along. I did purchase some oars as auxiliary power - could only get 8ft ones which will be way too short for the Peeler but will work on my next build - a sailboat. I will build some 11ft oars when things settle down some - thats the length the Peeler really needs but they are so verrrrry expensive to purchase and ship you really need to build them yourself. How about a picture of your Peeler? - Lilah would apppeciate seeing her new sister or brother.

Thanks Robert!  I think I am going with putting the fixed trolling holders about a foot forward of the transom.  flush stainless through a built out nice chunk of mahagany.  I installed the rod holder tubes under the forward seat yesterday.  I think they will work out nicely and you can barely notice the holes in the bulkhead.  they are also water tight.  I think a nice bimini over the aft seats will be perfect.  I too have a dermatologist that I have paid for his new mercedes every year!  Lol!  Too much surfing over the years.  I think that I will have one of my SUP paddles for auxillary power on board.  I will never be too far from shore if I have a breakdown or run out of gas.  11 foot oars will be a fun build!  And a great workout when using them!  I'll post some pics of the rod tubes when they are glassed in and before I set the seats.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.