FIRST BUILD....It's a boat !!

This 17' Great Auk, is my first build. It will not be my last! I constructed the strongback on April 21, 2011. Over the next 7 months I was happy, sad, confused, proud, frustrated, but most of all I was determined. When it really looked like a kayak, and as a good hearted dig, my grown son told me..."it's not a boat until it floats"  Well I'm here to tell you on November 16, 2011...it became a boat!!!!!!   If I did this right, I have 5 pics of my boat. I am extremely happy with the build, and over the winter months in western NY, I will work on getting the finish where I would like it to be. Thanks for any replies to my posted questions..they sure did help, and thanks for the lack of replies in some cases...it made me take action, and think on my own. Here is to a full season of paddling in 2012.My Boat

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: FIRST BUILD....It's a boat !!

Hopefully the last two will show, and the most important one, is the one on the water....here goes!!  Thanks for being patient

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/duuane/DSCN0399.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/duuane/DSCN0421.jpg

Very nice!!

Great looking kayak !!!

Very nice colors and sharp layout too.

What will you build next ?  I am thinking about The Great Auk for my next build.

Lou from Michigan

looks great . Love the deck nice subtle pattern.

Fabulous!

looks great!!! nicely done!!

Rod

Beautiful.  It may change my mind on my 2nd build

Thank you for the nice comments, I would build another kayak, but my wife would like for me to build her some kind of a sail boat. Any ideas?

Looks great.  The Mill Creek Kayaks can take a Sailing rig.

beautiful boat

Thanks for the info... I will check out Mill Creek

Duuane,

Very nice boat, and the deck pattern looks really good. I know you have learned a lot from your first boat, and can't wait to put it in the water as much as you can.

I have not finished my first boat, but I will...it's just a matter of time...LOL!

Good luck on deciding the boat for your second build, I've heard that making the choice is the hard part!

Chris F

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.