Just Do It

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Jun 2, 2005

I'm in the go-for-it camp, and particularly liked Randy's and Karl's responses. And like I said, the MC13 will bring you home safe and dry every time, as long as you don't paddle over Niagra Falls or get swept out to sea by wind and tide in Puget Sound.

And let me tell you -- that little boat saved my dumb *ss a couple times. But so did listening to my fellow paddlers here, and anywhere else I could go to hear them speak.

I have perfect confidence in my MC13s, and this from mighty rough experience. Chris K, its designer, remarks in "The New Kayak Shop" that its the design he's most proud of. That statement caused me a raised eyebrow once, but it doesn't any more. I believe it.

It's also a wonderful fishing boat, with scads of room inside for carrying a small ice chest and tackle box, plus the myriad other crap we fisherpeople like to haul along.

I'm into long and lean sea kayaks using advanced techniques today, but I thank goodness I started in a MC13. I am still just absolutely nuts about the little fat guy, and still use it often to introduce new folks to kayaking in a way I KNOW will be safe and enjoyable for them.

One last note: pay particular attention to outfitting your cockpit. It can make the difference between a comfy tushy and an agonizing lower backache. Been there, done that.

Cheers, Kurt

In Response to: Re: Fish this with MC-13? by Dave on Jun 2, 2005

Replies: