Re: Skerry sail plan

Posted by Robert Miller on Jun 3, 2004

Dan:

I've been absent from this forum, (for a bit too long it seems). My son and I are presently building a Skerry.... with much excitement, (but, I must admit, all too slowly).

We have, (with the help of Todd Bradshaw "Canoe Rigs"- great book), drawn two balanced lug rigs for the Skerry. One with equal sail area to the designed rig, and the other with 8 more square feet. We have not yet chosen between these. (I'm waiting for more reports from those already sailing their Skerry's.) Both have in common a lowering of the CE of the rig, which should improve stability. And balanced lugs have the capability to be reefed readily (an advantage compared with the sprit rig.... though David Bixby has worked this out neatly for his sprit-rigged Skerry... check out the Skerry forum).

In regard to overall simplicity, I think the balanced lug and the sprit are not much different. As to appearance, this is, as always, in the eye of the beholder.

The only structural change needed is at the partners to allow a 7 degree mast rake. The mast step is unchanged.

How this will all work out in practice ... remains to be seen.

Robert

In Response to: Re: Skerry sail plan by Steven R on Apr 25, 2004

Replies: