Car Topping a CH17

Posted by IngridH on May 10, 2004

I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands having purchased a much need truck. I got everything I wanted in the truck except the length I prefer between rack mounting plates on the cap. In the past, I have always racked my yak upside down on a 7 foot spacing between racks so that the front rack sits between the forward hatch and the deck rigging, and the back rack sits aft of the aft hatch. That arrangement allowed me to grasp the cockpit coaming while loading, kept the kayak less than 4 feet beyond the end of the vehicles I used previously (therefore I didn't need a flag), kept rainwater out of the kayak, and I didn't need to use tiedowns on the bow or stern. I was very happy with that.

Now, I've got a shortbed truck with a Leer cap that has rack mounting plates 5 foot on center. I don't know what to do. I think loading a slimy kayak upright fresh out of the bay would be difficult for me to do alone, and I almost always paddle alone... I don't like the idea of the kayak sticking out more than 4 feet from the rear bumper because I think a flag getting whipped around by the wind would damage the kayak, and I don't know if a cockpit cover would stand up to going 65 MPH.

I've thought of building an over-the-cab rack so I could load my kayak as I always have done, but maybe it isn't necessary to do that. Any suggestions/input?

Replies: