Re: Grey Owl Tempest Padd

Posted by LeeG on Apr 29, 2004

http://www.aquabound.com/recreational/seaclude.html

I think if you are looking at the possibility of stressing a paddle shaft more than is necessary for paddling then you need a strong paddle and not one that can break for less money while learning rescues or even something as mundane as bridging to the shore as an assist in entry/exit. The aluminum shafted Aquabound is a decent strong enough medium inexpensive paddle. At 250lbs you can break the average light shaft fiberglass paddle that costs around $250 and definately break any wood paddle at any price range if you put your weight in the middle of the shaft during an entry on shore or during a rescue. The relatively cheap Aquabound aluminum paddle will hold up well and once you figure out how to move your body around the wood paddles are nice but I wouldn't think of getting a good inexpensive paddle like the Dragonfly with the idea that it's ok if it breaks. It's never ok for a paddle to break. Once you start looking at medium priced glass shafted paddles for $175 like the Werner Mid-tour you're still in the range of medium heavy paddles. For heavy duty glass paddles that weigh less than the aluminum shafted or mid priced glass ones you have to do a little hunting,,I found the Lightning with heavy duty shaft is a good choice if you need a super duty paddle. The DragonFly and Grey Owl paddles are very good deals and good paddles,,you just can't misuse them anymore than you'd misuse a $350 carbon paddle. I'd get a cheap,strong,heavy paddle for learning then keep it as a spare when you get the Tempest.

In Response to: Re: Grey Owl Tempest Padd by Mac on Apr 29, 2004

Replies: