Re: Run of The Charles

Posted by Josh on Apr 29, 2004

The Run of the Charles (ROTC) is a great race. There are 5 different race lengths, more classes than you can count, and portages. I used to do it as part of a 25mi relay for open canoe. -- 10 people, 5 legs of the race, 3mi. to 5mi. for each.-- Now I do the 9mi. race in my CH 17 LT. This year it took me 1hr 35min.

Tim, what kind of rivers? Sea kayaks can handle rivers beautifully, you just have to avoid the rocks (and not be worried about gouges, dings, and scratches). My Ch 17 LT is gerat for racing. No rudder and I dont have to worry about holding a line -It just tracks- BUT you have to learn to use the rocker on the chines of your boat to turn.

In last year's ROTC I got passed by a couple of downriver boats. WOW. Fast, light, and expensive. I believe there is a plactic "downriver beginners" version made by Perception. It would be a great alternative to a beautiful wooden boat, until you had to carry it. Look on the web for a used one.

As for paddles... I am still using an old, beat-up Mitchel that has the aluminum tip protectors. Yea. this is a 20 yr old whitwater paddle. I watched many kayakers with Wing paddles over the weekend and only a few were really taking advantage of them. Most paddlers still need a lot of practice on a regular forward stroke.

And, Last but not Least. Please, please, please don't build a Pax 20 with wheels on the bottom.

In Response to: Re: Run of The Charles by Kyle Welch on Apr 28, 2004

Replies: