Re: Peel Ply use

Posted by BobE on Apr 23, 2004

My $.02 � Peel-ply works great in resin over cured resin applications. In resin over new wood it has a tendency to create small air bubbles in the wood to resin junction. I�ve used old sailcloth for peel-ply with good results before. Recommend you buy a small sample of actual peel-ply from a convenient supplier. West System sells an inexpensive pack. Experiment on some test samples to gain confidence. Peel-ply will leave a surface suitable for the next mechanical surface bond without having to sand. It�s great for feathering layers if you can afford the cost. As in most of the boat building process, there are compromises between the techniques you use and the costs or time it takes to use them. You�ll have to find your own balance.

Sounds to me like you pulled the fabric way to soon in your trial run. The resin should be well beyond the tacky stage. More like what is called green. The ply will separate from the resin/cloth lay-up long before you can break the bond to the next layer down. It should be easy to remove or something is wrong with the application.

In Response to: Peel Ply use by JimMac on Apr 23, 2004

Replies: