Peel Ply use

Posted by JimMac on Apr 23, 2004

I have been experimenting with Peel Ply on the MC13 kyack I am building. Hopefully someone has used this before and can help. I used 100% polyester cloth from an fabric store NOT "official" peel ply. Putting it on was great, smoothed out easy, allowed me to use a stiff wisk broom to smooth out small inperfections and absorbed some small amounts of epoxy that otherwise might have turned into drips. The problem was getting it off! After the epoxy had set up to the tacky but firm stage, I decided to check how hard it would be to remove. Good thing. It took two of us to peel it off and in some areas it pulled up the fiberglass cloth and created air bubbles. I was able to roller these back down with a cloth roller but it was a close thing. I am pretty sure that if I had left it to cure overnight I never would have gotten it off. So the question is: does "official" peel ply have some kind of release coating? or is there something else I should have done? The end results were good, smooth and no excessive wet out so I would like to continue using peel ply. _________________ Building boats keeps you young

Replies: