Finger Nails on the Blackboard

Everyone has some word or phrase that bugs them to the point of it sounding like "Finger Nails on the Blackboard".  Since we all try to make this sight constructive I have chosen to make my case under this thread rather than directly on anyone's post. 

As a boat bulding friend of mine put it:  "We do not MAKE boats.  We may MAKE cookies, but we BUILD boats".  Let's save those finger nails.

Paul

18 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finger Nails on the Blackboard

Sorry for the annoyance.  You can call me a new guy to the boat building arena with about 6 months under my belt.  Someday I'm sure I will understand.  Just gotta put my time in I'm sure.

Please do not take offense.  I hear this almost every time I take one of my boats out and it always grates on me.  I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to vent here.  Keep us all posted on making the boundary waters trip and as to what boat you choose.  Sounds like a great opportunity to custom build to specs as suggested by Lasslo.

Paul

At the risk of scraping some fingernails, I'd like to respectfully disagree.

First, mixing liquids with powders and hoping that they get properly solid at the right temperature seems more like cookies than boats on the face of it.

Second, using mixing bowls and spreading the results with spatulas - cookies or boats?

:-)

Happy New Year to all,

Laszlo

Laszlo,

I should have anticipated you would crop up and throw a grenade into the middle of my party.  Hard to argue with.  Happy New Year.

Paul

Sorry Paul. Think of it as a New Year's party popper with bright confetti instead. :-) But in the spirit of the boat-BUILDING family, I'll try to remember to say "build" when I post here. Now if I could just get my wife to build another batch of chocolate chip cookies tonight...

Really PAG...made vs built? must have been a slow night on the internet to criticize that verb.

My wife of many decades has made it clear to me that she bakes cookies and that some of my boatbuilding schemes are only half baked.  Also, she gets upset when she has to simmer me down after I make a mistake in the boat shop, for example, when I use fast hardener instead of slow and the pot cooks off much sooner than I want.  Being a backyard boatbuilder it's a lost easier to cover up mistakes than if I was an auto maker.  Happy building.

Paul,

Sorry to hear of your strong objection to "making" boats.  "Make" is one of the great words of the English language.  There are few words that have some many good uses and perform so well.  The word has a long a glorious history.

More to the point, it is no more correct or accurate to use "build" than "make" when referring to the construction of boats. 

It is going to be a long winter if we are debating words to use or not use.  I will be constructing a boat.  Any thoughts???

Hey, don't knock this.  It brings out some great comments.  The positions really don't matter, but the banter is great.  It gives you guys who are frozen in for the winter something to do while those of us in the sunny southwest continue our boating.

Happy New Year all.

PAG

Sunny southwest...you really know how to hurt a guy that is frozen 40 miles from the great lakes.   you are so lucky!!!

In the spirit of good natured banter ... I submit that those of us who buy kits (as opposed to building from plans) are actually "assembling" boats ;). I am looking forward to making, building, constructing, and or assembling my next boat come this Fall. In the meantime I will be rowing, sculling, or otherwise propelling my pulling boat, rowboat, aka wherry as often as the weather, elements, and or atmospheric conditions will allow.

Happy paddling, rowing, and sailing to all!

So, out of curiosity, Paul, what is the difference?  We use a recipe/process to build cookies as well as boats.  We use a specific set of ingredients, a specific set of steps, and a specific outcome from those steps and ingredients.  Is it a consumable versus non-consumable thing?  If so, I argue that it is case specific since we don't build babies but we do make them. 

If it's a design from scratch thing, then I say many of us definitely make our boats, rather than just build them.  Are auto manufacturers auto-builders or auto-makers?

What, exactly, is your linguistic beef with using the phrase "make boats" rather than "build boats"?

FrankP

I think that I will go build some cookies and after that, make my boat.

there is nothing like freshly baked cookies.

Some conversation points for everyone's consideration:

Kits - assembled if mindless repetetive activity (such as what can be done by robots) is all it takes, built if specialized non-rote techniques must be used.

The next generation - men make babies, women build babies? (there's actually a fairly clever play on the words "make" and "build" possible in this context, but since this is supposed to be a family forum and not mention how families are made, I'll leave it to the imaginations of the dirty old sailors to find).

Laszlo

This is taking some interesting turns.  At the risk of being nailed with numerous exceptions how about this.  When we make something the various components interact and change characteristics.  When you eat that cookie you hopefully don't find identifiable flour in the middle.  Building is more like assembling.  While maybe you make glue by mixing epoxy, harder, and silica, the boat itself is an assembly of wood, glass, fittings, etc. all of which are still identifiable as seperate components.

Is this getting way to complicated?

PS:  I think this analogy carries over to making babies.

It's Friday. It's snowing. I'm home early. I think I'll build some adult beverages and make some friends if can find a way to share them on this forum.

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.