Sanding and Graphite

I have finally started the sanding proces on the hull. I am graphiting the bottom and was wondering if it was necissary to sand to 220 grit before the graphite? Will the graphite cover up the little swirls or accent them? Some advice from the experianced would be great!

THanks

Jason

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sanding and Graphite

I did the 220 sand on my WD12 hull before the graphite, it was not an big job, did not want to risk it.  Only problem is that the epoxy started to setup faster than I could finish painting.  Use the slow hardener and consider doing mulitple batches.  I was not 100% happy with the final result, buidlers are rarely 100% happy ;)  that said, now that she is in the water on a regular basis I am VERY happy with the result.

I'm guessing you are doing 2 coats, I did mine on fairly thick and think that it will likely cover those tiny swirls, but is the few minutes you save really worth the years you will look at that hull and say darn, I should have sanded it?

P.S. what are you building?

I am building a chesapeake 17, and yes I am shooting for 2 coats for the graphite using a foam roller and tip it out with a foam brush. Is this the good way of doing it? 

THanks

Jason

Foam roller + tipping with foam brush works very well.  It handles like a heavy paint.  I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Just got done with graphite on the bottom of my C17. Did do the 220grit paper and used fine line tape. I did the two coats about 4hrs from each other because I only wanted to use one stretch of tape. After about 1/2 hr after the 2nd coat I pulled all the tape off and no I have a perfect line. inspite all the dang bugs that kept landing on the finish it looks good. I'll clean them free tomorrow when it is rock hard.

Jason

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.