Weekend report

Posted by J.Schott on Oct 2, 2005

Decided at the last minute last week to attend the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival. Since my wife and I rarely get a whole weekend off together, this was a perfect get-away. As always, I was stunned by all the wonderful craftsmanship put into all the boats. Every time I think I'm getting good at building boats, I go to one of these shows and feel the need to get better. It's a humbling and inspirational experience each time. One of the good things that happened there was my wife has gotten a little more excited about my hobby/obsession. She immediately walked up to the Shearwater and said "Now thats a pretty kayak". I was also very impressed. Pictures do it no justice, it has to be seen in person. The next thing to happen was I had to paddle it! I hadn't been in a kayak in over a month so my skills were a bit "rusty" and I probably should have started out in the familiar ch17. First impression was it felt tippy. Once under way I was surprized at how easily it moved through the water. It also tracked straight as an arrow, didn't really need any correction to keep it on course, even with my poor form at the time. I stopped paddling to see how the wind affected it and was surprized to see how little it got pushed around. Turning was easy, not as easy as the AH, but certianly easier than my ch17. Over all impression, very nice boat with good manners. If I had been using my paddle and was dressed for paddling, I might have fallen in love with it. Maybe next time, I still have some work to do on my latest boat before I can think any farther. I also got my wife and daughter out in the mc16. People seemed to get a kick out of my daughter standing up in the middle of the cockpit behind my wife holding on to her shoulders, waving as we paddled by. Also got munchkin out in a mc 13. She complained the whole time that I was getting her wet. Anyway, we had a great time. I enjoyed talking with John agian and we have another "gotta-do" for next year. I've posted the pics in my photobucket, and there are a few of the Shearwater. Almost forgot, George K. had his wr18 there and it is stunning! I got a kick out of all the people feeling his onlays and saying "how did he do that?". Beautiful work George, I'm glad I got to see it in person.-Joey

Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival Pics

Replies: