ok, another way

Posted by LeeG on Jun 5, 2005

I'm refininshing a Ch17 made last year in a class,,there's a wavy overlap of deck glass visible from 15' that is well varnished and not sanded down. Me thinks what happens after the class can vary a lot as well.

My perspective comes from re-ordering more epoxy because I got caught in the cycle of sand/epoxy/sand/epoxy/sand/epoxy/sand because the "pour it on spread it around and sand it off" method can vary a LOT for folks unfamiliar with the process as drips run down and the 2.25gal of epoxy runs out. I could imagine with a tight schedule and 50gal drums of epoxy that construction techniques could skew to what is most effective in that setting.

On one hand there are general statements saying that cut glass should be recoated, on the other a general statement saying "it's inevitable, start varnishing". It would be nice to decide "enough" when there's still epoxy in the bottle and not after ordering more. All I'm suggesting is the same thing people started doing to define fillets as not everyone as the same steady hand and eye that you have when applying fluid materials. I've seen you varnish a kayak leaving absolutely no brush marks, likewise apply perfect fillets and do free hand cuts that looked like they were done with a table saw. For the rest of us with more jittery hands or learning about where the ROS goes from being a sander to a grinder is a technique that doesn't require as much sanding since the area sanded is reduced in size with no loss of utility of the 4oz glass. Applying more thin fill coats on the sheer with a roller will go a long way to ensuring that the light 4oz glass survives finish sanding regardless of the method for cutting and fairing the wrapover.

In Response to: Re: there is a better way by CLC on Jun 4, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.