Re: Bluckhead

Posted by Robert N Pruden on Dec 30, 2004

A bluckhead is a creature that goes around making sounds like this: "Bluck! Bluck! Bluck!" They generally have white feathers and have this strange tendancy to end up defeathered, cut into bite sized pieces, coated in a spicy batter and deep fried until crispy.

If, on the other hand, you are asking about BULKHEADS, then that is another story. ;) Bulkheads are dividers built into boats to separate one section of the boat from another. They are built perpendicular to the hull and deck panels, attached to both in a watertight manner, and can be made up of materials either similar to the hull and deck or of a lighter material.

Most kayaks commonly have two bulkheads that divide the kayak up into three compartments. The fore- and aft- compartments are usually used for the storage of equipment that can be accessed through hatch covers. The hatch covers (one fore and one aft) exist to cover up holes cut into the deck to make access into the compartments possible. The center section is usually where the cockpit is located. This section is where you can most obviously see the bulkheads. There should be one bulkhead behind the footbraces and one other bulkhead behind the paddler's seat.

In the event of a rollover, the bulkheads will serve to keep water out of the fore- and aft- compartments. This also means that these compartments also serve as adequate floatation.

I hope this helps you understand that there is a difference between "bluckheads" and bulkheads.

Hee! Hee! (spell check often denies us the chance to have a little fun)

Robert N Pruden

In Response to: Bluckhead by Bill Maynard on Dec 30, 2004