Launching between storms

Posted by Nancy on Aug 9, 2004

Sunday was launch day come hell or high water - or maybe both! Well 2 carloads of friends and family showed up for launch day - first brunch at my house then a caravan down to Matheson Hammock to launch. Brunch was a great success, which we extended till the lightening and thunder settled down and the first couple of inches of rain fell. Then I looked at the weather map and noticed the storm was settled over my house, but the beach was clear, so we moved the party to the waters edge, where the sky showed some definite blue patches. Opened the car door and MOSQUITOES! Big ones, hungry ones, the air was thick with them. So we very quickly launched the new CH 17LT and the old MC16.5 and paddled away, noticing our guests quickly dashing for their cars and driving off, slackers, couldn't wait for their turns. But oh the paddle - sweet sweet sweet! that CH LT is smooth in the water, not at all tippy, just cuts through the water with little effort. The MC is serious work in comparison. So we paddled off for about 20 minutes, then high tailed it back when the sky started to rumble...faced the cloud of mosquitoes, discovered a wicked nest of fire ants, tossed the kayaks onto the trailer, drove home in the rain and lightening then found the party still going on back home. Overall a great success! But no photos - the wimps took the camera with them!

Replies: