Re: Light Boat for Work O

Posted by Stephen P on Jun 22, 2004

Howard;

Assuming that you don't need extra strength due to being heavy yourself, there are plenty of ways to trim the fat:

Epoxy is target number one and minimizing its use with a squeegy and minimal fill coats is a good starting point. I use 4oz glass top and bottom, seems plenty stong and taking care not to sand through is just a skill that light weight building requires. Posts are extensive on epoxy management and CLC's John Harris wrote a good article in the recent shop tips publication elsewhere on this site.

3mm ply is fine on side panels and for the deck, for the few extra ounces I'd stick with 4mm on the bottom panels. (Although the old Yare is often built with 3mm throughout and no glass, mine at 26lbs is still structurally sound after several years with TLC.)

Micro balloons in the fillets can save a few more pounds, I've not had any issues using very narrow fillets and 4 inch tape. Other's have posted on their not adding strength, but my thinking is that if the fillet is small enough just to fair a curve for the tape to sit flat then strength isn't what the fillet is there for anyway.

The inside corner of the sheer can be trimmed saving another pound, using 3/4 x 3/4 is lighter than 1 x 1.

Making sure your forward bulkhead is where your feet will be could eliminate foot pegs but lead to a one-size-fits-Howard boat. This will save another pound or more.

It is quite possible to build a light weight S&G from CLC's plans in the low thirties. Since you have already built one (or more) of the CLC line, buy a plan set of the boat you want to build, spec your own materials and make some mods. You'll be happy with the results.

The skin on frame approach could also be another great solution as posted earlier.

My 35lb Pax18 came in 1st place at the Janes Island Power Paddle this past weekend, besting FG Artic Hawks and a Simon River kevlar racing kayak in the mens long kayak category. Fun for a work out and competitive when the paddle meets the metal. (Although I wasn't the fastest overall boat, a guy in the 50+ age group took twenty seconds from me on the six mile course.)

Above all, build the boat for you. You can always build another if it's too light!

Stephen

In Response to: Re: Light Boat for Work O by Allan Reade on Jun 22, 2004

Replies: