Re: How long did it take?

Posted by Dave on Apr 23, 2004

Seems we all have different baselines as to how long, when we're done and what "done" means. As a retiree, starting with a heated, well-equipped shop, some minor, around the house, wood-working and epoxy experience, and most of the needed tools, I ordered the MC 16.5 kit on 1-7-02; got both shipments by 1-22; had the deck on by 2-28; and had the craft varnished, painted and rigged on my jeep top for a test by 3-30. Starting from scratch, we also assembled all the equippage like paddles, PFDs (leaned something I already knew: that women are built different, therefore, one needs a woman-built PFD), wet suits, compass, lines, etc. by mid-March. Finally launched an 4-12 after delays due to our usual erratic Rocky Mountain April weather (Heavy snow today, for example). First kayak. I worked almost every day for a couple of hours in the morning but tried not to press the work. If I wasn't having fun I quit for the day. I followed the directions for the most part and made only minor modifications to the plan. This was very enjoyable work for me, and I enjoyed pulling out my log for this post. Hope you enjoy your building and paddling no matter what your personal situation and plan might be. Dave in Colorado with one March launch so far before weather took charge

In Response to: How long did it take? by Jay E. Morris on Apr 21, 2004

Replies: