Applying Fiberglass Tape Around Stitches

I am about to move into taping the hull and deck clams at their seams and I am realizing the wire stitches will be getting in the way. I am building the Oxford II and I have not found in the manual anything offering a solution to this problem. So my question is how do I lay down the fiberglass tape in one clean run along the seams of the hull and deck when there are wire stitches in my way. Should I remove the stitches that are causing problems now and leave the remaining stitches in until the hull and deck interiors are finished? I'd assume that I should not tape over the stitches as it would leave pieces of wire extruding from the hull, which will flaw the fluid mechanics of the design. However I don't know, so please let me know how these complications in taping can be resolved.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Applying Fiberglass Tape Around Stitches

I have not built this boat, but something really seems missing or confusing as to the way your question is posed.  I presume you have a build manual.  Double check: are you missing some steps? Including - tack the hull and deck together with epoxy or CA glue, then pull the stitches, then lay in a filet, THEN put down the fiberglass tape?

Yes, yiou need to put down a fillet of thickened epoxy in the seams before you apply the tape.

Watch this video from CLC to see what you need to do.

Laszlo

QUESTION - having just watched the video for the first time. You don't wait for the fillet to dry begore adding the 3" seam tape?

With all that going on - the amount of coverage with the fillets - it would seem that the fillet material would be going off, at least in some sections, as the tape is being applied.

Not challenging, just asking for clarification. Thank you.

Hi Rowme,

when epoxy cures, it typically goes from liquid to plasticy to rock hard.   it's that initial transition to plasticy (vs rock hard) that we call kicking.

in large concentrated batches this transition can be violent  and happen very fast and even start a fire.  but in smaller, cooler quantities, it is generally more gentle.

small quantities kept cool can stay in the plasticy stage for a couple hours.  so you are right, it may be 'going off' but that is the initial transition where it is no longer workable....and not its ultimate hardness.

so most folks typically end up applying the tape when the fillet is peanut-butter consistency (becuase its not raw epoxy) or plasticy peanut butter - still deformable.

you can wait and do the tape after it has completely hardened.....but its easier and works better if you do it while the fillet is still 'soft'.

it is a bit of learning and experience to get comfortable with these transitions.....and techniques.  but i would say, in summary, that filleting and taping on a cool day can buy you a lot of time to work so what you are concerned about can be managed.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.