Epoxy pour outline visible after glassing

I know exactly what happened, and I'm bummed out about it, but it's too late to do anything about.  What I'd like to know is, how can I prevent this next time?  Any advice?

This is my second cedar strip project.  The first was a SUP.  This one is a Petrel.  I did not have this issue on my SUP.  On both projects, I've used cedar from Home Depot (I know, don't judge), Raka 127/350 non-blush epoxy, and 6oz glass also from Raka.  Both projects were built in my climate controlled, basement workshop, so practically identical conditions.  As far as I can remember, tools and prep were identical as well.

I laid out my fiberglass, brushed out the wrinkles, got my stuff ready, mixed my epoxy, took a deep breath, poured it on, and spread it out with a rubber Bondo scraper.  Where I poured the epoxy on and it formed a puddle, I could see a faint outline of the initial puddle remaining as I proceeded with the work.  It's become less noticeable over time, but at certain angles and lighting conditions, I can still see it.  It passes the 10 foot rule, but it's still a little infuriating.

Since then, I've mostly finished the job.  I'm down to glassing the stems and final sanding.  Attached is a picture of the hatch cut out and sitting on my work bench where you can see the outline.

Also attached is a screenshot of Nick Schade's video from here: https://guillemot-kayaks.com/petrel/fiberglassing-petrel-deck-and-hull.  At the 1:50 mark, you can see the puddle he pours on the deck.  The outline of that shape (marked in red) is what I'm still seeing.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy pour outline visible after glassing

Grrrr! I have to look at my having done this on my last (second) build. Kills me every time I look at it. Disguised it the best I could....

Had poured and spread on the first build, a MC16.5 with no ill effect. But I used a spreader and being a smaller boat, I guess I worked quickly enough.

Secoud build and now using a foam roller, I was at one point in a hurry (or maybe my pan was too dirty to use), I poured the epoxy weaving back and forth, and spread with the roller. I could see the imprint where I pour/spread the epoxy before using the roller. I kept rolling with more epoxy, and thought/hoped that it would disappear when cured, but it didn't.

Henceforth, I never again oured the epoxy directly to the surface .

Thanks for the reply, ggray!

Looks like my pictures in the original post didn't work, so I'll try again here.  Sorry about that.

The reason that the pictures aren't displaying is because the google server returns an error 403 - the client does not have permission to retrieve the files. Since they're on a google cloud storage drive, you probably have to set the permissions such that anyone anywhere is allowed to see them.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.