Paint Interfaces MC 16.5

Getting ready to paint the interior before putting the deck on but I'm working in 78-93 degrees. I'll be using Pettit EZPoxy, I don't believe I can finish painting the interior and keep a "wet" edge before the temp gets to high. If I have to stop painting and begin the next day in the morning for cooler temps how do I do start/stops? Feather the edge painting or lightly sand it when dry the following day?
SB

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint Interfaces MC 16.5

According to Pettit's instructions for applying EZPoxy (odd choice of name for a product that's not an epoxy but a single-part polyurethane) you're working with a handicap at the higher end of their recommended application temperature window.

Have you used this product before? How many coats of this do you expect to be applying until you're done? You plan to apply by roller, brush or spray? Or some combination as with 'roll and tip'?

Were I in your position my first thought would be to reach out to Pettit's tech support staffers, explain your need for some additional info. They may recommend using their brushing thinner to extend the working time a bit whether you're rolling and/or brushing.

You may want to work out a way to define the areas you want to cover by masking off section by section, limiting how much product you'll need to apply until you can get some experience in how much you can apply before your application window closes.

Either way – feathering vs. masking – you'll probably want to lightly sand the edges where one application's ended and the next is to begin once what's been most recently applied has cured enough to withstand sanding. Masked edges will need more attention, they'll have a hard edge that'll need to be reduced. Feathered edges may need just a scuffing, maybe with something less aggressive than sandpaper? Scotchbrite abrasive's mentioned in some of Pettit's instructions about application prep, this may be worth noting.

Thanks for the reply, I don't have experience with this paint or application process. I plan on using the roll and tip method starting in areas that will be enclosed hoping my expertise improves for visible areas. Probably use 3-4 coats especially in the cockpit area. I will definitely get in touch with Pettit tech support for recommendations.

SB

In addition to spclark's good advice, I've got a couple of other points for you.

First, practice on something other than your boat to get to know the products. Any piece of scrap wood covered with epoxy and sanded will do. Remember, you're not painting wood, you're painting epoxy.

Second, I don't think you'll be using 3-4 coats. Again, because of the fact that yiou'll be painting sanded epoxy, there won't be any exposed wood sucking up the paint. I've never needed more than 2 for coverage. But even if you do, it's not a big deal because...

Third, for something as small as the MC 16.5, I'd be surprised if it takes you even a half hour to paint just the interior. It's only about 30 square feet and a roller will make very quick work of that. If you get everything except opening and stirring the paint ready to go the night before, keep the paint in the house before use and get up early enough so that you can start work in the coolest part of the day I don't think you'll even notice the temps bothering you during application of the single coat.

Various weather services (NWS, Accuweather, etc.) will provide you with temperature vs. time of day information to let you plan your work.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Good advice. Practicing on something will definitely flatten out my learning curve. I didn't realize it could be applied that quickly. If I start a sunrise it shouldn't be a problem. 
Thanlks

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.