NE Dory Sloop rigging separating planking near bulkhead

Hi there-

Just finished my NE Dory build up a few weeks ago. Have only sailed it a couple times so far, but lots of rowing here on the Columbia River in Portland.

As I was rigging the mast up today I realized the bulkhead is splitting the planking. The epoxy fillet is fine, but the plank is splitting to where the bulkhead now has movement. See attached picture.

Any idea what is causing this? I don't have any mechanical advantage on the rigging. Just the instructions of rigging with 1/8 nylon, attaching both back stays and then the head stay. So I'm not sure how just tightening the jib (by hand) could cause this?

What should I do to fix it? I'm taking the mast down as I don't want to cause more damage. But it doesn't look sound for sailing now.

I've got an email in to CLC too but wanted to get any advice on here. Need to get back sailing!

Thanks for any advice you can give...

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/qVuxBaR" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/qVuxBaR"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Sloop rigging separating planking near bulkhead

Can never seem to get pictures to post on here. I don't want to keep posting errors, so here's a link. Sorry.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0M8zhBR-0qj1MaxMHlG7I__Fw   

Is it just that one plank?  Or all of them on that side?

Wow, it seems the best fix is to grind out the fillets, remove the bulkhead and install a new one, unless you can get it out in one piece, in which case reinstall it and re fillet.

I've done lots of this kind of thing.  It's not nearly as difficult as it seems.  

it looks like it simply took too much force one way or the other.  Seems like the planking was pushed out rather than the bulkhead being pulled, but that's really an uneducated guess...

Mike 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.