Hi everyone...I just completed a petrel play and am enjoying it very much

I wonder if anyone out there has run the sailing rig on it and how it has done

thanks in advance for any guidance

Anthony

oregon

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sailing rig on petrel play

I have not heard of anybody putting the CLC Sailrig on a PP, but I am sure it can be done.  I do see potential technical challenges.  First, on the PP the aft deck is quite low and the forward deck is quite high.  This may require some modifications from the standard aka design.  Secondly, the cockpit recess will force the aft aka to be mounted a bit further behind the cockpit.  This may bring the front aka too far aft to allow for a good forward reach during your paddle stroke.

Although I think it can be done, I'd submit that the PP is probably not the best candidate for the sailrig.  First, the cockpit of the PP is a bit snug so not the most comfortable for long sits.  Secondly, the PP has a short 13' LWL and a lot of rocker, so it is not a fast hull.  I see boats like the CH 16/17 or Shearwater 16/17 being much better candidates because they are more comfortable and faster.

I have the sailrig plans and will likely add it to my Ch17LT sometime in the future.

Thanks for the response Mark

those are great points, and I appreciate the wisdom behind them

I will let you know and post pics of I decide to go forward, but more likely I will peruse the sailboat kits and go that way

A

Good Luck!  The "hunt" for the right design is half of the fun.  I will tell you that for a "car top" sailing solution, a Mill Creek 16.5 of MicroBootlegger with the CLC Sailing Rig looks mighty versatile.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.