stainless screws needed where epoxied-in?

NE Dory build. Screws are used to build and attach the centreboard trunk. And to attach the skeg. The manual doesn't say they have to be stainless, so I guess stainless steel is overkill. After all if water is getting in there you've got other problems... Or better safe than sorry?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: stainless screws needed where epoxied-in?

By all means follow the instructions, but is there any reason why those screws have to stay in once the CB trunk is complete and installed?

On my S&G boats I only used screws to hold the trunks together until the epoxy cured, then I removed them and plugged the holes with either putty or dowels.

Same thing for the installation - only glue, tape and epoxy hold the trunks in place.

The boats are in the same class as the NE Dory in terms of weight and size (except for my schooner which is larger, heavier and has a 125 lb. drop keel in the trunk and double the sail area of the NE Dory, so I'm very confident that going screwless will stand up to the stresses on an NE Dory. Maybe you can check with CLC tech support and get their blessing on going screwless>

Good luck,

Laszlo

Laszlo,

Would you suggest going screwless for the skeg & skids on an Eastport, too?

Frank

Ah so Laszlo you're suggesting the screws are only to help at glue-time and are unnecessary afterwards? I hadn't thought of that. It's true that the manual has you screwing the rails into the breasthook, then removing them once the epoxy's cured. Not sure why the same procedure isn't advised for the trunk and the skeg.

Frank, the skeg on my sailing dinghy (which is bigger and heavier than an Eastport Pram) has never had screws to fasten it to the hull. I bedded it in epoxy/woodflour putty (supported by packing tape), then when it was cured in place added fillets and glass tape. Never a screw, never a problem. Check with CLC if there's any problem doing that with an EP, but I wouldn't hesitate if it was my boat.

John, yes and I don't know. A properly made bonded joint is at least as strong (usually much stronger) than one with mechanical fasteners. I've been building screwless boats for 16 years with no failures.

Laszlo

Hi all,

IMHO, Lazlo is absolutely correct. Once the epoxy has set, screws serve no structural purpose. However, I often use drywall screws to clamp joints while they set. Especially where clamps cannot get a good purchase.

Cheers,

Dick

I think I'll go screwless on the skeg. That might actually make it easier to get it exactly perpendicular to the hull. The skids will have to at least start with screws, though, as I have no clamps with a big enough opening to be able to bend them to the form of the hull.

Thanks!

Frank

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.