How much sanding on hull before first coat of epoxy on wood?

Rails are on my NE Dory. The temperature here has finally gone above freezing so I'm going to bring the boat outdoors for some major sanding.

Is it correct that the goal at this stage is just to create a smooth flat surface for the fibreglass? I'm thinking around the stem and where lap number 1 joins the floor.

So 80 grit is good enough? The prep for a nice varnish / paint job happens later?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How much sanding on hull before first coat of epoxy on wood?

Yes just a nice smooth surface. And I used 80 grit, seemed to work fine! But I was planing on and did paint my boat. If you are going to use a clear coat, you might want to go to a finer grit.

What ever tool marks, cracks, uneven surfaces you leave will be visable to the other builders when a clear finish is applied. 

Current plan is for white(ish) paint on the outside of the hull and brightwork in the boat. 

Heh, as for other builders, bring it on! Our filets are impeccable! Lovingly smoothed with acetone. That said I'm not a complete dweeb, but this is my first time working with fibreglass, and I don't even own a router (yet) so I'm learnin' as I go... 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.