Total build time- Peeler skiff

Looking into building the Peeler skiff and was curious about estimated total hours for building, hull only, and then an estimate on additional hours for finishing. I am well aware that this will vary especially when one decides the level of finish desired.

Thanks,

Matt

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Total build time- Peeler skiff

Matt,

My friend Bob and I built my Peeler in about a year elapsed time. We were not in a hurry and we couldn't work through a New England winter in an unheated barn. With the precut plywood of the CLC kit, assembling the hull is pretty quick. Waiting for epoxy resin to cure takes more tim than the actual labor. The same is true of the fiberglassing.

CLC's estimate of 200 hours total build time (excluding the console) is pretty accurate for a good, workboat finish --- which is what we did. I'm sure that one could easily double that for a show quality finish.

I would recommend that you buy the CLC manual for the Peeler to thoroughly understand the process. There is no clear dividing line between construction and finishing. Virtually everything you do during construction affects finishing time. The more care you take with the epoxy and glass during construction, the more time you save fixing and sanding during the finishing process. Until you've been through the stitch and glue process once you will probably not unterstand how integrated the construction and finishing process are.

I would also recomment that you search the CLC Builder's Forum for references to "Peeler". That , along with reading the manual, is the quickest way to gain a reasonable impression of what it takes to build the Peeler Skiff.

http://cumulus.aunt-mary.net/images/peeler/

Best wishes,

Dick

I'm an experienced woodworker even if building the Eastport Pram from plans was my first boat.  I logged 100 hours on the boat build, including finishing (and lofting).  The brochure page for the EP says 40-50 hours.  I don't think I could build a second EP even with templates in that time frame.  Maybe.  Hmmm...

Interestingly, my second boat will be the Passagemaker Take-Apart and it says approximately 100 hours.  Since they have almost the exact same structure and the plans include full-sized templates (i.e. no lofting of parts), I hope that I can achieve the target build time.

I built a Peeler Skiff from a CLC kit.  The total build time was 312 Hours, This was without the console but includes all finishing and hardware installation.  Pictures available at:  

https://plus.google.com/photos/106282855444206356903/albums/6166720610973040193

Jack Reid

I built a Peeler Skiff from a CLC kit.  The total build time was 312 Hours, This was without the console but includes all finishing and hardware installation.  Pictures available at:  

https://plus.google.com/photos/106282855444206356903/albums/6166720610973040193

Jack Reid

Matt,

As you can see from the photos in the 2 links, the finish on Jack's boat far exceeds the workboat finish on mine. I believe that accounts for the difference in build times, I have absolutely no brightwork, which makes building as well as finishing much simpler. I will admit that Jack's boat is really beautiful. I just didn't want to spend the extra time building and maintaining About Time.

Regards,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.