Cockpit too far forward

I built a Chesapeake 18. I am about 6'5' and have size 14 feet. As i paddle i can't comfortably put my foot against the foot brace and leads to my legs going to sleep. Is there any reason I shouldn't just cut about 2 to 3 inches off the rear of the cockpit opening and just add new combing?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cockpit too far forward

it would be great if you could describe a bit more about what you mean by can't put your feet comfortably against the footbrace.

is the cockpit really too far forward (relaive to where the plans say it should be)?  is their the possibility that you can re-position the foot rails (e.g., can you reposition the rails to move them more forward or simply remove the foot peg rails and rest your feet on the forward bulkhead?

cutting 2 to 3 inches off the rear of the cockpit opening and rebuilding the cockpit sound pretty drastic to me and i would make sure i understand what the problem really is and look at other options before that kind of surgury.

that said, if after looking at options, that is the best option, it is certainly doable.

howard

I would second Howard's options of moving foot braces or using the bulkhead with some closed cell foam or styrofoam to shape foot rests.  If you move cockpit back you are messing with the center of balance of the boat with respect to both wind and water.  If you have to do that talk to somebody at CLC and make sure you understand the effects of such a move.

Legs going to sleep often has more to do with the seat than the leg position althought being able to move the legs about a little usually helps.  Support under the thighs often relieves numbness. Carving a really fitted seat or adding a "pillow" against the front edge of the seat to take some of the pressure off the but may help.

Ed

1: Definately carve yourself a seat. The single best thing you can do.

2: Try moving the footbraces and pad the bulkhead with foam, to get the best fit.

3: Does you kayak turn into the wind? Also known as weathercocking. Does it weathercock in low speed winds? Try adding a few 2 liter jugs of water in the back hatch. If that helps your kayaks handling, you might benefit from moving the back of your cockpit a few inches. If you left the front alone, it might improve your ability to get in and out.

Good luck. JRC.

"..... i can't comfortably put my foot against the foot brace and leads to my legs going to sleep." .............  Legs going to sleep is probably pressure from the front of the seat pressing on the back/side of the thighs.

" size 14 feet"  ....Try a smaller/thinner  paddling shoe. Something in a wading slipper or dive bootie. Definitely NOT running shoes. Foot pressure can put the legs to sleep too, but is usually just the feet.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.