Peeler Order of Operations

I am getting close to finishing my Peeler and want to minimize the number of times that I have to flip the boat.  The manual calls for the installation of wide wales as well as the out wales with the boat upright.  Has anyone done this with the boat inverted?  If this is practical I could then paint the topsides before flipping and finishing the inside.  I would appreciate any experience or opinions

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Order of Operations

Jeff,

I believe that you'll find installing the wales much easier with the Peeler rightside up.  When we built our Peeler, we masked the topsides where the wales were to be glued and painted the bottom and topsides with the boat upside down.  We then flipped the boat, installed the wales, and then finished the wales and the interior.  Worked fine.  About Time has not been upside down since.

By the way, our Peeler handles beautifully with a 9.9 HP Yamaha 4-stroke.  Just spent a phenomenal Sunday out on Narragansett Bay with 4 adults aboard.  Felt safe and secure (in spite of some huge wakes) the whole time.  Great boat!

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks.  That was the insight that I needed.  

I will wait for the last flip to install the larger wales.  We have decided to paint the larger wales the same color as the topsides.  The only bright finish will be on the inner and outer wales as well as the breast hook and  the corresponding pieces in the stern.  I am currently applying antifouling paint and fairing the topsides and transom.  I will wait to prime and paint until the boat is upright.  

Jeff,

It was our experience that the topsides were much easier to paint with the boat upside down.  Unless you can jack the hull up so you can paint standing, trying to paint the topsides from an underneath angle is very awkward.  Painting the larger wales with the boat upright is much easier and not an issue.  I'd recommend that you finish painting the bootom, transom, and topsides with the boat upside down (remembering to mask the area to which you'll be gluing the wide wales because it's better to glue directly to the epoxy coat) and then flip the boat to install the wales.  Once the boat was flipped and the wales installed, we masked below the wide wales with painter's tape and old newspapers because we were using a contrasting color on the wide wales.  That would be optional for you as they're the same color.

Have fun,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.