Epoxy errors

Hi all! This is my first post on the forum. I purchased a Mill Creek 16.5 kit a month ago or so and have been working on it sporadically ever since. In the early going I mistakenly glued the sheer clamp to the wrong side of the sheer panel and when I went to install the sheer panel realized my mistake. I found that a heat gun and a putty knife worked well to remove the sheer clamp from the panel. I had a friend hold the heat gun on the interface of the two and slowly but surely I was able to pry the sheer clamp and panel apart using the putty knife. Yes there were a few small places where a layer of okoume plywood came along with the sheer clamp but I was able to veneer over those with some matching color veneer I had on hand. It appears now that none of this will be visible and though it was a small delay, ultimately, no harm done! Just wanted to share this in case anyone else makes an epoxy error and wonders how salvageable it is. I should note that I am a woodworker, at least a hobbyist, so I was pretty confident that I could resolve any aesthetic concerns. But really, it's all good.

Betty Galloway

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy errors

Well I'm back to update you on this post. I THOUGHT my errors in epoxying would not show up as they appeared to be ok after I veneered over them however, that was not the case. I had hoped to stain my yak a medium red mahogany and when I did, those flaws in the wood stuck out like a sore thumb. I attempted several things to remedy this but nothing seemed to do the trick and I actually made things worse in one spot so I am painting the hull now. A major disappointment for me but a lesson learned. Hey, it's my first build! I haven't worked with epoxy before and was really surprised at how well it shows up the errors underneath! Betty

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.