inset grab box

I’m thinking about utilizing an integrated, inset grab “handle” for my Kaholo project. I’d fabricate it from a simple cedar box and attach it to both hull and deck. It makes sense to center the grip on the board, but this would necessitate interrupting the center stringer. I’m guessing this is fine, assuming I fillet the ends of the stringer to the box.

Any problems with this approach? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Patrick

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: inset grab box

I would think you would not want it on centerline. I would try to mock up in cardboard and then figure out how far from the edge you could reach comfortably without the edges digging into your ribs or under your arm.

Just 2 cents as I have never used a SUP. I think I would avoid the center string.  Would worry about getting toes caught.  Ed

I am not a believer of the inset grab on any SUP that is 14 feet long. You have very little controle over the board in even a slight wind. and if you have a fin box and move the fin or if you stash anything in the hatch it upsets the balance enough to make the inset grab useless. I prefer a long center strap or a shoulder carry strap so you can adjust your balance point while carring the board. I have over 1,500 miles of paddleing on my Kaholo 14, and paddle 6 days a week so I speak from experience !

I second all the reasons Wood Ogre gives on opting for a 24" center strap over an inset grab handle. It's what I did on mine and works beautifully. No downsides whatsoever.

I appreciate the feedback, guys.

I should have clarified- I plan to use this when I'm carrying the boat alone:

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/standup-paddling-gear/paddle-board-carry-strap-sup.html

I can see the convenience of having the strap permanently attached to the craft, but to be honest I'm also enough of a wood geek to not want to see a big strap permanently attached to the craft. Maybe if I was lucky enough to use it every day I'd change my mind!

The grab handle would be just that- a permanent handhold primarily for use in positioning the craft for transport, etc., and in conjunction with the strap. I intend to reinforce the stringers so I can add a "grab strap" later if this doesn't work out.

That said, any other thoughts on placement, etc.?

Thanks,

Patrick

ps- Wood Ogre, your build log on Swaylocks was inspirational!

I installed a centre mounted flush grab handle on my K14. I concurr with everything Wood Ogre said

i just built both a 12' and a 14' with standard skegs and everything on both. I put the standard 12" strap handle on both.

On the 14', the balance is good but for the 12' the balance is way towards the back of the handle.

The output of all this is that you had better be right on with the balance point for your inset handle else you will be dragging the nose or tail since you may not have the 'run' within the handle box to balance correctly.

if i had to do it over again, i would go for a longer strap - better to balance and easier to carry - although i too really like  the idea of the all wood device!  Good Luck!!!

I had an epoxied on grab handle. After a few months on end came unglued. I wound up cutting off the handle and I just lift the board up and rest it on my head while holding it steady with both hands. Simple and makes it easier getting the board on/off the top of our car. 

Before you read the rest of this, I have not finished my board yet.  I did however install an inset grab handle and can tell you how I did it.  I cut through the center stringer.  However, I doubled up the reinforcement recommended in the instruction booklet.  It probably added a little weight, but the handle feels very secure.  i used a prefabricated plastic handle that I bought from a surf supply store, so that may not be exactly what you are looking for, but the idea of extra reinforcement should still be the same.  That being said, I have not yet finished or used my board so I'm not sure how it will perform in the elements.  But as far as building and placement thats what I did.  And weight balance seems to be okay for now.  I think it will work wine for getting in and out of water and short moves.  For anything longer, I plan on building a dolley or cart.  Hope that helps.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.