need advice on selecting a boat to build

I am looking to build a stich and glue rowing boat.  I would like to build something that I can take out in puget sound and be able to handle various weather conditions.  I would like the boat to be easy to handle for one person, (adult male) but also be able to carry a couple members of my family with me.  I really like the lines of the Northeaster Dory but not sure if it will work well for my needs?  I would appreciate any thoughts you can share!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: need advice on selecting a boat to build

The Dory would fit your needs in every way. It is esay for one person to handle, and that includes rowing and sailing. Easy to launch, rows well, carries a payload of 800 pounds or so and can easily handle three adults or a couple of adults and a couple of kids. It's also one of the easiest boats to build that CLC has. These things get built in five and a half days in CLC's classes, not including the sail rigs and finishing. The typical home builder won't be putting one together that quickly, of course, but the point is the majority of assembly can go pretty quickly. Finishing (i.e., sanding, paint, varnish) is going to take a bit of time depending on what type of finish you're looking for. If you want to see some being built the Wooden Boat Foundation in Port Townsend is scheduled to have a class April 8 thru the 13th.

George K

RE: need advice on selecting a boat to build

I've rowed an Argie 10 (D Dix) around the Southern Gulf Islands, not too far from you, and will eventually get a sail on it. While it has been up to the task for everything I have done, I would concur with George about the NE Dory. The Argie 10 is best for one person, but I have had a passenger... either stern down, bow down or trying to get the oars in sync side by side. It has handled some fairly rough conditions when I've been alone, but the NE Dory would have been better if things got rougher. Rowing is almost effortless on flat water / no wind / no adverse currents. In wind, it would be a lot better sailing. Consider too the Skerry.

Keith

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.