Closing bow on Chester Yawl

Finished loose wiring of all planks. Now it's time to stich the bow together.

I would really appreciate any ideas on how to bring left and right sides together so that I can begin wiring. Right now, the planks are pretty much flat at the bow.

I thought of hanging straps from the rafters in my garage to go under the bow to help pull it together.

Any other ideas? I can't get help till next week so would like to attempt this on my own.

Thanks!

RichMPL

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Closing bow on Chester Yawl

Rich,

To close my bow, and stern, I hung the boat from a 2 x 4 held up by a pair of ladders.  I clamped 2 places on each side at top of boat, and used nylon adjustable straps to hold up.  Actually was really suprised with how well this worked.

I could get you a couple of photos if you give me an e-mail, not sure how to insert them here.

Regards,

Kurt

Kurt,

That's a great idea!  Thanks for the tip

However, at this point, I am closer to closing it after a lot of hassle. I clamped the forward bulkhead in and that really helped shape the bow area.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the #1 planks being too tight with #2 planks to bend into place.  Will sand a bit off where they don't fit well and then they should be fine.

Did you have to wet the planks at all at all for bow or stern closure?

How far are you into your build?

Rich

Hi, probably to late for you but I just closed the bow on my Chester yawl. I can see how it would be difficult to do on your own. I struggled for half an hour and got nowhere. I asked a friend to help and had it stiched up in no time. I suspect that overlap betreen plank one and two plays an important part in forming the incredbly beautiful form of this boat, I would be very reluctant to sand it down. I would guess that the overlap on mine was between 1/4 and 3/8" and it did all fit together just like it should. The stern was a lot tougher but I did get that together on my own.

All the best.

Mike.

Thanks Mike.  I also tried many times doing the job myself. Very frustrating, but tomorrow I finally will have help, so your response is encouraging.

I'm sure I will have questions about stitching the transom, but first things first.

RichMPL

We are on the same path. Keep in touch. Last night I tightened up all the wires and filpped it over. Very pleasing. Good luck.

Mike.

Okay, this is getting annoying.  Had help on the bow and things were going great, but the two keel planks (#1) kept riding up on each other making it impossible to stich them properly.

All the rest would have been a piece of cake if not for this problem. Even with help, could not stop this from happening.  I tried tightening the loose sticthes but this kept the planks from moving enough to make the connection. Would it help if I beveled the upper inside edges as I did with my Wood Duck planks?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help cause I am really excited to move on with this build!

RichMPL

Thanks

Sorry to see that you are having a struggle. As I said I am not an expert, this was a first for me too but this is how it went for me.

Address the no. 1 planks only, don't worry about the overlap at the bow between 1 and 2. I put the hug on the bow and brought it more or less together and asked my friend to try and keep it in that position. Then i forced the no. 1 planks together face to face. I had the drill and wire to hand. I was able to hold the no. 1 planks in the right position with one hand drilled and wired the planks with the other hand once those were in place it was relatively easy to pursuade the no. 2 planks to fit in the rabbet. 

I have tried to add a couple of photos, I hope it works. Notice that the planks are sagging between the saw horses. At first I had them on three horses and I noticed that the planks were more relaxed when they were not supported in the middle. If you have the planks flat, letting them sag may make it easier.

All the best.

Mike.

Chester yawl before closing.Chester Yawl bow after closing.

Chester Yawl before closing.Chester yawl bow closed.

I tried again.

Mike.

RichMPL email me at [email protected] and I will send the photots.

Mike.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.