Source for replacement mast

Okay..rule #1 - ensure your stays are properly tensioned so a sudden gust of wind won't induce slack in one, resulting in the mast coming out of its step..which in turn results in a nice aluminum boomerang.

The only damage (other than to my pride) is the mast itself.

Any suggestions on sourcing the aluminum tubing?  One place  found online wanted $33 for a 12 foot tube...and $107 for shipping!  Ouch!!

Maybe it's time to finish up the wooden mast I was working on...

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Source for replacement mast

For an extra $70 you can build it from carbon fiber and not worry about it rotting or corroding and it should weigh less than 5 lbs. I've been sailing with mine for a year now and am very happy with it. Click on the picture of the kit for more info if you're interested.

Thanks Laszlo. That might be something I'll consider over the winter, but I want to get back on the water quickly.

Who would think that finding a piece of aluminum tubing would be so hard or expensive?

A couple of thoughts- how about a local electrical supply house, aluminum

conduit (generally comes in different wall thicknesses).

And also, local machine shops, they sometimes stock various supplies like

tubing, sheet metal, etc.

Good luck.

I'm a paddler not a sailor, but I do have a couple of questions.

How long, or high is your mast, as in length?  eg 12 feet

What diameter tubing do you require, eg 1 and 1/2 in OD ?

Where are you located?  eg Rochester N.Y.

There must be suppliers out there, aluminum poles for this purpose?

Ted B

These people were very helpful for previous sailboats:

I've always wondered why the Passagemaker is the only CLC sailboat with an aluminum mast - anyone know why? They have one for the lug rig. 

Is the wooden one you are working on "birdmouth"(

John (in Rochester NY!) 

REK - thanks for the suggestions. I have calls into several electrical supply shops and machine shops.

Ted B - The mast supplied with the kit is 2 pieces that, together, measure 11' 3".  If I can get a 12 foot length, I don't need to match the existing tube since I wouldn't need the coupler to put the 2 pieces together.  Ideally it would be 12 feet with a 1.5" OD.

I'm close to Worcester Massachusetts (central Mass).  I'm sure there are sources close by...but finding them is proving harder than I expected.

John - The Dwyer mast is certainly an option. Thanks.

The wooden mast I built is indeed a birdmouth. I saw it on Christine's site and decided that was what I wanted. 

Thanks for the replies!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.

Special Financing with Blispay

CLC's Fall Kit Sale