SEAWORTHINESS comparison of Chester Yawl/Expedition Wherry

The CHESTER YAWL & the EXPEDITION WHERRY ~

I'm only asking about these 2 boats. I know there are other likely more seaworthy options but these 2 are the contenders for a variety of reasons.

They both have their appeal but I will only be building and using one, not many decades left in this little man, lol. I intend to use the Piantedosi Row Wing in eithe. The boat will be used extensively in mid-coast Maine and New England for basic day rowing in the bay, island hopping, gunk holing, tidal river exploring and lake boating with camping as often as I can. Not big open water - nearly always within sight of shore and select conditions - though we all know that conditions change - fog and chop, tidal surges and stormy weather are all part of the mix.

Will be carrying gear often but not always. A passenger too, will be on board occasionally but not the rule. Speed is not THE consideration. I will not be racing - just going along. A few miles less in any day are not deal breakers. For what it's worth, I and my wife are small folks, 5'3" and no more than 140 pounds but strong and healthy and still more nimble than not. Mostly this will be a solo cruiser. We might end up building one for each of us.

I like the size (shorter) and open boat (easier to carry a mixed load) camp cruiser aspect of the CHESTER but I get the impression that the EXPEDITION is the more seaworthy boat if conditions change. Ultimately safety is the big decider. The EXPEDITION is touted as the one if - "you're looking for a seaworthy, all-weather sliding seat boat."

Can anyone chime in with real world comparison - or - at the least - offer your experience with your own of either of these? My only othrer consideration is a 15' Rangely Boat (not a CLC option).

Thanks very much.

Ray

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: SEAWORTHINESS comparison of Chester Yawl/Expedition Wherry

No one has rowed either of these boats in other than flat water?
Just teasing but I would love to hear from you. What do you think, please.

You're asking for a seaworthiness comparison which implies the opinion of someone who has rowed both boats in other than flat water, is a member of this forum and happens to be currently active. That may be a really small set of people.

Have you tried asking the CLC support team?

Laszlo

Well yes I am asking for a “comparison” but that such a comparison, as I suggest in my post, could be supplied by individuals sharing their own experiences with either the Chester or the Expedition in various water conditions. I could draw my own conclusions. As it is, I have no knowledge of the handling capabilities of either,  other than what I have read on their respective description  pages. I bet that is not such a small cohort.

Admittedly this Builder's Forum is not likely attracting much after the fact owner's discussion. 

Would a trip to Maryland be too far out of your way? The Big Little Boat Festival is coming up in May and you could try both boats there on the Chester River (motorboat wakes available for testing).

Alternatively, if that's too far, CLC will be at the Woodenboat Show in Mystic in June, if you're not in a hurry.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.