Moveable Oarlocks on Peapod??

Has anyone designed a moveable oarlock system for the Lighthouse Tender Peapod?  My husband is a classic rower, but I prefer to "push" row in the forward position.  Rather than fixing as many as four separate oarlock riser stations, he would like to design a system that is moveable, solid, and "invisible" or "noninvasive" to the original Peapod design.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Moveable Oarlocks on Peapod??

Making some sort of movable oarlock block/socket might be possible and make a good little engineering problem, but even when completed I'm guessing that there would need be enough minor modification at the various attachment points that the movable solution might be at least as "offensive" to aesthetics as simply adding as-designed blocks/sockets at the various desired locations . If you design anything movable, take account for the significant forces a socket must cope with - not just lateral - to keep the oars in place throughout the stroke.

I see that the Peapod design has inert-type sockets set into blocks placed atop the gunwale rail.  If you really don't like the idea of too many blocks atop the rail, the boat could be modified to give a clean rail-top with all lock points having a block strenght point built into the rail and probably extending slightly below it..  Even so, that would creat a lot of re-enforcing wood lumps below the rail instead of on top.  It would also lower the oar height, which is rarely a good thing. I hate catching wave-tops when rowing in rougher waters.

And while we each march to different drummers, and each are free to do whatever "floats our boats" I'm sure you recognize that you give up a whole lot of power by facing forward.  Facing forward is OK for short rows in a tight river or crowded anchorage, but if you are trying to get somewhere, I'd consider standard backward facing posture. Learning to take a good sighting on things astern can help you stay on course. And tossing tradition to the wind, it can be helpful to use something like a clip-on water-skiing mirror attached to the gunwale, or bicyclist mirror on a cap visor. I've even seen people with those great big "obscured driveway view" convex mirrors mounted up on the stern seat.  Not something I'd do unless I was going on a really serious row-only trip on a waterway or something.

Whatever you do won't be wrong, its your boat! If you attempt a movable system, you can always go for built-in locks later.

I installed 4 oarlock risers in my Peapod which allows the oars to "rest" i.e. store in the unused set of oar locks when not in use. A thought...

Dean

Greetings Bubblehea and Dean,

Thanks a ton for the responses!!  My husband who is doing most of the build is definitely a traditional rower, and in anything but "relaxed movement" in calm waters, I too would use the pull technique.  Right now he's considering adding both bow and stern risers for when we are both in the boat (which will be most of the time).  For those occasions when I am "light rowing" by myself, he also considered putting a fourth set of risers-this set just forward of the center seat; however, his highly skilled "advisor" Terry at CLC said that rowing forward from the center seat would be unbalanced, putting too much weight on the bow.  Much to consider!  And again, thanks for your thoughtful replies!

Deb and Mark

ps  Mark pointed out to me that four sets of risers would look nicely balanced in appearance . . . despite requiring quite a bit of extra time and money.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.