Autumn Leaves owners

I am trying to chooses a boat to start building this spring and Autumn Leaves very much meets my requirements and eye.  But I would like to talk with current owners about sailing qualities, cockpit room and feel.  Any changes they would make if they started over. There are very few sailing videos on line and I would love to see some more.

Pat

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Autumn Leaves owners

Hey Pat, John has a couple of good writeups here. I have an AL on the Eastern Shore of MD. If you're close you're welcome to have a look and maybe come out for a sail. Mine is the jib headed version. Respond with your email address and we'll take it from there.

Eric

https://smallcraftadvisor.substack.com/p/lugs-and-jibs-an-autumn-leaves-update

Eric, thank you for responding.  I would love to talk with you about how Autumn Leaves sails, and what, if anything you would change on the boat.

You can email me at [email protected], or just respond here if you like.

My goal is to sail the upper Missouri River and the entire Mississippi River.  The Missouri in South Dakota is very rough.  Strong winds very short chop that can build to 2' to 3' fast.  I also am having wrist issues, that I hope will be resolved after surgery this week but there is a chance that rowing will be very limited.  Is there a way to mount very small outboard for auxiliary and emergency? 

I would be mostly sailing small reservoirs and overnight camping. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

What trailer are you all using?

I have an Autumn Leaves 90% finished, hope to finish this summer.

The guy I bought it from said get a trailer with rollers, but the links on the internet show bunks.

[email protected]

My Indigo sits an old out of production galvanized Long trailer, with bunks. Terrapin  tours on a slick aluminum job but I forget the make. Also on bunks. Another AL in build may ride on a flat bed trailer, or BB might revert it to bunks.
If you go with rollers you’ll want a Lot of them. They create point loads and you’ll want to spread them out as much as possible to keep from denting your plywood bottom. Because the bottom is flat and has a skeg bunks seem ideal to me. More important is the height of boat on the trailer. You’ll want is as low as possible to be able to launch at shallow pitch ramps. If you have shallow ramps you might also consider an extending tongue although I’ve never had occasion to need one. My trailer was a Craigslist find. If you go that route make sure you get a trailer with a title. Titling trailers aroound here is a total pain.

If you’re in the mid Atlantic post when you complete the build and sail with your sister ships.

Cheers,
e

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.