Incandescent bulb alternatives?

Hello all, I'm about to get started on an eastport pram and am getting my unheated, uninsulated backyard shop arranged as a build space. With the recent restrictions on incandescent light bulbs, the ideal recommendation CLC provides no longer seems feasible. 

I installed one of those quartz infrared heaters sold by Lee Valley, but an hour or two last night on full blast didn't really change the ambient temp in the shop that much. Does anyone have alternatives that might work? Perhaps a couple of work lamps with those heat bulbs people use for chicken coops? 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Incandescent bulb alternatives?

"Perhaps a couple of work lamps with those heat bulbs people use for chicken coops?"

Yep, what I used when assembling my Waterlust canoe kit. Bought two reflector lamp holders, 2 125W clear heat lamp reflector floods. For 'spot' heating when necessary they worked just fine.

I was set up in an insulated & heated 2-car garage mind, set nominally @ 50F with temporary boost to 60F during work sessions.

Depending on your climate and weather you'll want to avoid temp + humidity that may result in condensation during cure, which may lead to amine blush even with 'blush-free' epoxy products. Those heat lamps will do that nicely used with proper cautions about dust and proper wiring.

I'd not recommend using 250W lamps, they throw a lot more heat and may 'cook' your epoxy! Besides presenting an increased hazard from fires.

Hopefully those heat lamps will continue to benefit from the exemption they were given when the filament-elimination mandate was forced upon us all. Time will tell.

"  full blast didn't really change the ambient temp in the shop "

I suggest you make the "shop" a lot smaller around the boat rather than heating the whole shop.  I'd also suggest one of those , or two , oil radiant electric space heaters,  like a steam radiator.  No flame, no hot exposed elements.  I've seen the boat isolated from the rest of the shop with visqueen.  Smaller areas easier to heat.  

Then too the light blub isn't supposed to heat up the shop just the work area. 

Grumpy's post adds some useful details.

'Tenting' is what he suggests when he describes "isolated from the rest of the shop with visqueen". Constructing a suitably sturdy frame from 1x2's or 3/4" PVC pipe doesn't cost much for the gain in efficiency of the heater placed inside.

Working outside will add issues though. You need to consider wind and potential for wind-driven rain and/or debris in your design. Sturdy enough to withstand the elements while your project progresses will take more than what you need for creating a small workspace in a garage, basement or barn/shed.

"oil [filled] radiant electric space heater" is a great choice for adding heat to a confined space. I use one for heating the small utility room where I keep my epoxy resin & hardeners. That way, when I want to use them I can bring the room up to 80°- 90°F beforehand so the materials are easily pumped & mixed for use. Also useful if I'm working with small assemblies that can be brought into the heated room for an accellerated cure.

Heat lamps in reflector-equipped sockets are fine for temporary use when directed at small areas of a project to shorten cure time. The difference being that of the effect of a 125W lamp vs. 1,500W space heater when you're looking for general heating of a small workspace. You can use either one alone or in combination, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the input everyone, definitely appreciate the help. Thinking it through, I think the way to go is one or two of those oil heaters as primary, with the heat lamp and IR heater for spot purposes. 

Anyone messed with adding fast hardener as mentioned here

Yes! I debated whether to mention fast hardener in previous posts but felt it might confuse things some.

Fast hardener has its uses. I started with it, thinking it would be of advantage, then as my experience with slow hardener grew over time, I used less & less fast.

With MAS LV resin you can use either straight or you can use them mixed to adjust working and cure times to a degree. Just be sure to keep track of your ratios so you consistently get proper hardener to resin ratio for your final mix! It's a major PITA getting improper ratio mix on OR off.

Hi LucasR,  

Even though standard incandesent bulbs are no longer availalble, heat lamps are still available.  I recently purchased these 125W heat lamps from Ace Hardware.  They also have 250W lamps, but I was concerned about too much heat.  These bulbs fit nicely into brooder lamps.

I am building my boat in a detached, uninsulated, unheated garage.  The lamps (along with some old 100W bulbs I still had) were positioned to shine on the inside of the boat.  I put a thermometer under the boat. I was able to keep the temperature under the boat around 50-53F with the outside temps dropping to 32-33F.  I also had a radiant oil heater nearby.

Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.