Retractable trolling motor for NE Dory

Hey guys, I wanted to share my version of a trolling motor install on my Northeaster Dory.  I know its not looked upon well to add a trolling motor to such a easy to row boat but we have had trouble here and there with getting away from and back up next to the dock at the lake on windy ( sailing days ) I enjoy rowing this boat but with a stiff breeze pushing the boat into or away from the boat ramp dock and ramp its tough to use the 8ft oars in the tight quarters of the busy boat ramp I have to use. I didn’t want the trolling motor to add drag to the dory when sailing. I didn’t like the look of the trolling motor hanging off the side of the hull to allow it to be pivoted out of the water under sail, so I worked up a solution. I built a water tight box big enough for the trolling motor and prop.  It is built so the prop can be in any position and if accidentally turned on it has room enough to spin the prop.  It uses the same support shaft and bushings from the original mount. This allows the motor to be rotated to any position 360 degrees which makes for great maneuvering ability.  I use an inexpensive remote control truck motor speed control and wireless transmitter/receiver to control the motor speed.  There is an on/off switch on the handle to easily turn the system on and off.  The closeout panel is just cutting board material.  Its tough, water proof and fairs out the motor opening nicely when the assembly is retracted.  It works great.  This setup adds no drag to the dory ( other than the weight increase ) for sailing yet opens up another way to enjoy this great boat. It sails, rows and now quiet lazy boating on windless days.

Just wanted to share my idea

Pete

19 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Retractable trolling motor for NE Dory

Looks like the pictures didn't work. Here is a link to them

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FKfc67NaY5f6BNxS7

Sorry friend, that link's not working either.   

Sorry guys !!  I didnt know this would be so hard to share. Lets try this link to Flickr - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjALX1c

Ugggg - I goofed it and didnt attach it as a picture. 

Pete

Click on pictures to enlarge.

To post these pictures here from Flickr - open the Flickr album in a new tab, click on picture in Flickr album, click on the download button, right-click on the desired image size, select "Copy link location". That will give the image file's URL on your clipboard.

Now, back at the CLC forum thread tab - click on the image button (next to the "?" button in "Add A Reply", paste the URL into the "URL" field, set the width to 500 and click "OK". This will let the images fit into the forum dialog space but still be enlarged if the user clicks on them.

Finally to the boaty stuff - that is a really cool mod and very good looking. It's the first practical way I've seen to power a beach cruiser. It also looks as if it will keep the water police from tagging you as a powered vessel and charging for registration.

Laszlo

Laszlo, thanks for the help and instructions with the images, I really appreciate it!!

I spent a good bit of time trying to come up with something that looked decent in the Dory. It's such a great looking boat. As far as the fun police go Georgia already is taxing me for my boat because of its sail. So it's covered if they come around looking to bust the hardened criminals out enjoying the lake with a little trolling motor. 

Pete

Very clever design and excellent execution.   Have you thought about filing a patent on the design?   

What a beautiful execution. Woodwork looks clean and appealing. I really like it! I know purists will criticize, AND I really appreciate these kind of mods. Well done!

Thanks guys for the kind words !!

Nope I havent considered a patent, I get so much great info from everyone who posts what they build and how they did it on the internet that I'd just like to share my little idea and hopefully inspire someone else to make it or build on it and create someting better.

I tried to make the wood work blend in with the fantastic design of the Dory.  The only thing that isnt so appealing is the battery box mounted fwd of the mast.  I am using a deep cycle marine lead acid battery so its big and  needed a big box.  If i wasnt such a cheapskate I could buy one of the small lithium batteries and save weight and size.  Maybe someday.  The big battery I have is way ovekill. I just use the motor for short periods of time, its never even showing a little depleted.  

Here is a shot of that battery

Pete

Pete,

I went through the same decision process for my Teardrop Camper and ended up replacing the lead acid AGM battery with a LiFePO battery with built-in controller. I have not regretted it and very much recommend the upgrade.

Have you considered a wooden battery compartment? Something like a low deck with a hatch for battery access? That would hide the battery box and let your power system organically blend with the rest of the boat. Particularly if you got the lithium battery which could provide the same power in a smaller package.

But what I really wanted to ask about are those models in the background. Did you build them and do you have any better photos? That riverboat looks particularly striking. The paddle wheel linkage looks as if it may actually be connected to a working model steam engine? Is that true or just wishful thinking on my part?

Laszlo

Laszlo,

I like the wood box/decking idea. Some day when I get caught up with other projects and can convince myself to spend the coin. It would be nice to get rid of the weight too. It added a good bit of tongue weight to the trailer which make pushing the trailer/boat around by had tougher.

Yep thats a  model of the Disney Sternwheeler 'Liberty Bell' It is completely scratch built including the propane fired boiler and steam engines.  It was a long project. I designed the lever steam engines from pictures of the full scale engines a lot of the early sternwheelers had.  It all works really well. 

Here is a video on youtube of the boat on the water

https://youtu.be/5pVm-UziOA8

This is a test run on air to show the engines working and the layout of the whole system.

https://youtu.be/QQHisuJegus

Here is a long thread on RC Groups about the engine and boat https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2255534-Steam-engine-for-a-future-Sternwheeler

I have a build log for the engines on Home Model Engine Machinist https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/steam-engine-for-a-sternwheeler.22191/

Pete

This is the other boat in the case with the Liberty Bell. Still propane fired steam boiler but its a vee twin spinning a prop. Much smaller and easier to get to the pond !!

And then there is this model

Pete,

I was ready to dismiss your motor because - if you want a motor boat buy a #$%@$&  motor boat!  But now I have to eat my words.

That is slick. Should have expected that from an A&P guy.

But Pete, bro, what's with the wire?! lol

Eric
former Phantom Crew Chief.

Eric,

Thanks !

You found the other item I just dont like about the motor mod, the wires...There are 4 of them , two 10ga for the motor and two 20ga for the power switch, I cant secure them to the motor pole because it ends up under water with the handle flush with the motor box when deployed. What you see is an attempt to make it look more like rope like the rest of the boat has.  I just wrapped it in thin cord.  I dont like the result but I havent spent any more time tring to come up with a better solution.  I am sure there are better ideas and I am all ears for a way to deal with them that is more pleasing to the eye.

I work with several former crew chiefs on various aircraft types, all of them are very impressive people !

Pete

Liberty Bell is everything I hoped I was looking at when I noticed it in the background of your photo. Well done, Pete.

As far as the wires go, if the handle ends up flush with the motor box when deployed, then a quick-disconnect connector would allow you to get by with just a few inches of wire which would be more inconspicuous. Or maybe a spring-loaded take-up reel?

Laszlo

Laszlo,

Thanks ! I really like how the sternwheeler came out. I haven't run it in a long time, all this talking about it has made me want to get it out and on the water again. 

I'm not sure I want a connector to deal with. I guess it's not bad to hook it up and disconnect it when deploying and stowing but it's just one more thing to do. I want it as simple as possible. I did think about using rings of conductive material and wiper type contactors at the deploy end of the shaft. That way it would automatically hook itself up. Not sure if I could cut into the shaft enough to inlay the rings without compromising the strength of the shaft.
I'll have to keep thinking 

Pete 

Impressive, thanks for sharing. Would you please comment on the placement of the motor? Did you consider mounting it aft and setting up the skeg to protect the prop? Could you have shortened the outboard shaft? If you're not steering with it, it doesn't need to be so high? Did you consider a true inboard setup with a stuffing box? Asking for a friend who just clamps a trolling motor on the starboard gunnel wired to a lead acid battery midships.

Thanks,

Yep I thought about placing it all over the place.  I came to this spot because it made for a shorter run for the battery leads since I put it up front to keep it out of the way.  The area between the dagger board and the forward seat isn’t used much by us. ( when sailing or rowing my wife likes to sit on the aft most seat and I sit at just aft of the daggerboard. (  I know that’s not ideal weight distribution for the people but ya got to keep the wife happy ) The battery and motor offset that imbalance a bit. 

The trolling motor has a built in metal skeg on it and the addition of the cutting board closeout door adds some protection too. 

The pole has to be that height when retracted to get the motor far enough below the hull when deployed. The handle is flush with the top of the upper bushing in the wood arm when deployed.  I tried running it in many different heights, Any closer to the hull and there are vibrations and noises generated, My guess it the churning water from the prop bounces around in the box that the motor stows in. I can steer with the motor and it can spin the dory like a top. Maneuvering to the dock is extremely easy with that capability.

A true inboard would still leave a prop and shaft support out in the slipstream to add drag when not in use and under sail or oars.  I have a 19ft direct drive ski boat and when that prop stop turning the drag it creates stops that heavy boat really quickly and at the same time blanks out the rudder so the steering authority is next to nothing. The other problem with a direct drive is all beaching of the boat is out of the question because now that prop is hanging down begging to be ripped off by the bottom of the body of water your in. I cant get close to shore with my ski boat because of that which is a bummer. We camp a lot and being able to drag the dory on to the shore at the site is nice.  I actually kicked around a jet drive setup like jet skis have but the cost of that type of system would have been a lot more and most likely not near as quiet as this little trolling motor.  It would make for a smooth bottom, but I don’t know how much drag it would create when not running since water would still try to flow thru it even with it off.

Pete

Wow, very cool design. Nice work. 

Cnodnarb, sorry for the late reply. This forum doesn't seem to give notifications so I haven't checked it for a long time. Thanks for the compliment it's really appreciated
Pete

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.