Shearwater fiberglass reinforcement for entry and exit

I am building Shearwater sport and assembly is going great. I just finished the fiberglassing the underside of the deck but after epoxy was cured I realised that I miseed adding 3 rectangles of fiberglass fabric that fits between rear of the cockpit and forward edge of the aft hatch opening. Not sure how well this will go given that the first coat of epoxy has already cured (instructions say to do it while first layer of fiberglass is wetted out). Should I just use roller brush for epoxy underneath and add 3 rectagles? Or should I sand the surface little to add more fiberglass?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater fiberglass reinforcement for entry and exit

Hi notyogi, 

if you have not yet attached the deck to the hull, it is easy to address the issue.

if the epoxy has already cured, just rought it up with 80-100 grit sandpaper (you just want to be scratching it up, not reallly sanding it down/sanding into it).  vacume off the dust and then just lay down the additional glass and wet it out with epoxy.  it will be just fine.

h

RE: Shearwater fiberglass reinforcement for entry and exit

Thank you hspira for the tip. That worked very well and I have moved on to stitching the hull and deck for the final time :)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.