questions re finishing the hull to deck seam -- shearwater sectional

I have successfully (more or less) cut the hatches on my shearwater sectional, and the next step in the manual is to fillet and put fiberglass tape on the hull to deck seams that I now have access to. So, I have questions:

1) There's a fair amount of lumps and drippage along that seam from the thickened epoxy that I put on when attaching the deck.  Should I try to get in there with sandpaper (or a dremel tool?) to clean that up before laying down the fillet?

2) When I stick my head into the hatches and look to the cockpit, there's a significant gap visible between the tops of the bulkheads and the deck (more so in the front than the back bulkhead, but certainly not watertight at either place).  The instructions don't seem to be telling me to fillet and glass that seam -- is something missing?  Or do I do that after sawing the bulkheads apart later on?

3) Any special trick for getting the boat to be steady sidewise on the sawhorses?  I'm using extra spring clamps to support it for now.

Thanks!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: questions re finishing the hull to deck seam -- shearwater sectional

To the extent you can clean up the seam before you try to glass it, I would do that. It will make placing the seam tape easier. Drexel, 60 grit sandpaper... Whatever works. On the bulkheads, what you describe is pretty common. Given you are making a sectional, as you suggested, I would wait to address it after the cuts when you have better access. It will be a lot easier to do then. At that point, post a picture and we can suggest an approach. But nothing that you will find too difficult H

On the saw horse's, I cut wood shims from some scrap and temporarily screw them into the sawhorse top so its shape better conforms to the hull. Its pretty easy to do and effective at holding the piece steady H

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Did a bunch of cleanup inside the boat and filleted and glassed the seam on one side today -- will let it dry before doing the other side.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.