any issues with Peeler Skiff being docked on mud flats?

I live in coastal ME which is subject to 8-10 tidal range.  At low tide my 'floating' dock (and anything attached to it) actually rests on mud for an extended period of time.  Assuming that other members of the Forum have a similar situation as me,  should I be concerned about the effects of that exposure on the hull (ie. delamination) over time?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: any issues with Peeler Skiff being docked on mud flats?

How long do you plan to keep it in the water tied to the dock?............. All summer.......both days? (sorry Florida guy)

Delamination?......is there a hole in the epoxy/glass coating. If you water gets to the wood there can be problems including delamination.  The mud is only a problem if there is movement that scratches the hull, rocks, shells, barnacles...... .....or....plugs a inlet, or takes a lower unit off.....or takes a depth sounder off....or .......

What happens to other boats left in the mud?  Do they have bottom paint? Do you have bottom paint? 

Correction, our summer lasts at least three or four days up here ;-) 

I haven't built the boat so there aren't any holes in it yet from hitting rocks although that is highly likely in these waters.  I am considering putting on an extra fiberglass matt layer durring the build.   Good idea?

The mud flat (where the dock is) is pretty smooth and tidal current there is pretty gentle.  Yeah I'm planning on using bottom paint

Peter,

I put an extra layer of fiberglass on the bottom of my Peelerm\, which was launched in 2014. She has lived on a saltwater mooring for years without issue. Interlux does not recommend Brightside paint for prolonged immersionm, so my bottom paint is right on the well-sanded fiberglass. In any case, I would not recommend using PreKote under Brightside anywhere on the boat. Brightside adheres perfectly to sanded and solvent-washed epoxy resin and glass. PreKote attracts moisture and is very soft.

Regards,

Dick

Peter,

Here's a link to my Peeler Skiff.

Have fun building yours!

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.