Epifanes rapid clear adhesion issue

So reading here about folks successfully using this on epoxy I gave it a shot.

This was the result

https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12VG4O

https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12VG4P

So in hindsight I searched for use recommendations on epoxy. Nothing on the can or their website(that I can see)

I went back to a test piece which appeared to be okay but was able to remove it from the surface with a razor blade after 2 months of curing. 

Mas no blush epoxy cleaned with soap and water sanded 320 wiped with DA applied at 65 degrees which they say dries in 4-5 hrs. I did not still tacky.

FWIW I've abandoned using it

PP

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epifanes rapid clear adhesion issue

I am not sure what your photos are showing, but what you describe certainly does not sound right.  I have used RapidClear on three boats now and am very happy with the product.  The GIS was varnished 3 years ago but gets only light use.  The two race kayaks were done 18 and 8 months ago and see heavy use.  No adhesion issues on any of them.  The only thing I did different was that I only sanded with 220 prior to varnish.

I'd suggest contacting Epifanes and seeing what they have to say.

@Mark glad you had better luck than me, looks great.

Don't know why you can't see the pics they open in safari or chrome.

But anyhow they show the product peeling off like a piece of packing tape.

doesn't matter I've decided to go with S3 WR LPU clear topside paint instead. A little pricey but thins and cleans up with water and with crosslinker added dries to a very hard finish. Giving me the clear non color changing finish I was after. Easy to apply.

PP

PP,

I wrote to Epifanes in the Netherlands precisley on this topic, a quote from thier reply:

"One-component finishes such as Rapid Clear do not have the best adhesion on epoxy resin"

I nevertheless I went ahead and used on it on my Skerry. After allowing the epoxy to cure properly i washed then abraded the surface to p180 then washed again. I then applied three coats of Rapid Clear with overnight drying between each and a light Scotch Brite between before the next coat. I did not suffer the problems your pictures demonstate. You seem to have either solvent entrapment or insufficent keying of the subsrate. Both problems can sometimes manifest themselves the same.

Ultimately I felt the Rapid Clear weathered too quickly, probably because it is a relatively thin woodstain type product that works best on surface it can properly pentrate. On a non-pourous surface like epoxy it is hard to get a good thick build up of coating, and to be fair this is not how the product is meant to work. Though recoating with Rapid Clear does not require much prep work or precise environemental conditions for successful application, the interior of a Skerry is still a lot of surface to cover if it all needs doing because it all weathered at the same rate.

In the end i gave up on a bright finsihed interior. After trying 8 coats of conventional varnish, the Rapid Clear and then finally a waterbased 'marine' satin varnish, it was all too much work in upkeep. I now regard paint to be the only sensible finish for the interioer of a hard used plywood boat getting plenty of UV light. I went with an oild based non-slip paint on the bottom plank where water might pool and the rest is a hardware store waterbased satin finsh topcoat, The waterbased paint is pretty soft and gets scuffed easliy but is super easy to touch up and can be done even an hour before you want go sailing..

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.