NE Dory Daggerboard Question

Hi all - sorry for another question in two days. Just trying to wrap things up!

Appreciate the comments re: bottom paint. Not sure which way I'll go yet but appreciate the suggestions.

My next question: I was test fitting the daggerboard in the daggerboard trunk before epoxying everything in. I was surprised how much play there is with the board in the trunk. The inside diameter of the trunk is 1.00", but the daggerboard blade at its thickest is only .75 inch. Is there really supposed to be a quarter inch of play inside the trunk? The handle end of the daggerboard is only 1.25", so it has tons of play at the top too. 

Before I install the trunk and cut the slot in the boat I thought I should check. Those of you who have a Dory (or similar model) does the board bang back and forth under sail? Seems like there should be a lot less play inside the trunk and slot.

Thanks!

Josh

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Daggerboard Question

You should ignore it. The one thing you really would not like is to have a daggerboard that binds in the well. That could change your day on the water into an absolute nightmare. And it's always possible that your daggerboard will swell by over 1/8th inch from changes in humidity (or perhaps water intrusion -- though we don't like to think about that).

Yes, your loose daggerboard will flop a little bit as you are coming about. It may even float up an inch in the well, requiring you to shove it down or tie it down with a bungie. But when you are underway the force of the water against the board locks it into place. You can't raise it an inch unless you release the mainsheet, and that's the way you want it.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.