Autumn Leaves

G'Day everybody, My name is Charley, I live on the east coast of Australia. I just finished building an OZ Goose and love it's stability and ease of control. Like alot of builders, as you finish one you are looking for the next. 

I just downloaded my set of Autumn Leaves plans. I must say they look magnificent. Very detailed and easy to understand.

My question is, does anybody know if there is a supplement available for the Lug rig?

Thank you for your time

Charley

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Autumn Leaves

Good on ya mate, we'll be waiting for your build updates.

A quick shout to John or tech support via the Contact Us link up top should get you the Lug Yawl suplement.

Cheers,

e

Soon we'll have the lug pages incorporated into the standard Autumn Leaves plans package.  Until then, just shoot me a note:  [email protected], subject line "Autumn Leaves Lug" and I'll send you those pages.

Fantastic, Thank you so much

Charley, Autumn Leaves is on my short list too. I’m curious about your choice. What made you settle on this boat? What others did you look at?

Thanks,

e

Silver Salt

I have been looking at micro cruisers for a few years now. I look at skill set needed to complete, time to complete, and of course Cost. I'm looking for something I can sail on the coast as well as estuaries, with a shallow draft. There are many other factors involved in my decision making like ease of handling, comfort, stability, self-righting etc...  I would like to be able to take my wife out for the occasional sail when the conditions are perfect, but 99% of the time it will be single handed. Must be able to sleep on board and carry supplies for at least one week possibly two.

My short list of candidates includes The Bolger Micro, Paradox, Sztranduś, Sztrandek and now Autumn Leaves.

The Paradox is great, but slow, very strong, you will survive any storm, but at 13ft you might not want to.

My favourite has always been the Bolger Micro, I have the plans, built a scale model, worked out what modifications were needed to make the cabin watertight etc…

But then came Autumn Leaves, ticked all the boxes so far, and no modifications needed, perfect.

Thanks Charley, interesting boats I hadn’t come across them in my searches. The most interesting feature of the bunch is the hull insulation of Paradox serving as floatation as well as, uh, insulation.

- but at 13ft you might not want to -  +1

My short list includes Vivier’s Jewell yawl, River of Grass (RoG), ketch, from Bedard Yacht Design and the Montgomery 17. Jewell and RoG are complex builds with rather high part count and I don’t have a place to build the Jewell. RoG looks like a really difficult project and it has an expensive rig, but it’ll fit in my basement. It also looks wet. Then there’s the Montgomery 17 which won’t let me build anything at all. Autumn Leaves lug/yawl ticks my boxes and has a more approchable build. I think I can shoehorn it into my basement. It would sure be a help seeing a finished copy of the above, not experienced enough to translate lines plans to solids in my head.

Keep us posted on your progress if you would.
Cheers,

Autumn Leaves sure would be a lovely vessel in which to run away from home, if your inner misanthrope ever got the upper hand.  You could tuck into places where they'd need helicopters to track you down and drag you home.  <;-)

.....Michael

P.S.  Wonder if a gaff mailsail, similar to PocketShip's, could be done to make the mast a little shorter and eliminate the spreaders in the yawl rig?

Michael, I like your thinking on rig. Ability to move under jib and jigger sure makes for a versatile sail plan.

When it comes to sail plan why can't we leave well enough alone?!

Northeaster Dory, not Southwester ;-)

Greeting everyone,  I am new to the forumn today. I finished my Autumn Leaves back in July.  She's everything that i hoped she would be plus a few surprises.  

I noticed that there are a few questions about building one of these boats on this forumn and  i would like to address them in one fell swoop.  As i was building my boat,  i wrote a blog of sorts on the byyb website's builders forumn.  The thread is 28 pages long and accurately chronicles my build.  Even the mistakes and accidents.  Before any of you get the wrong idea, i have to note that i am a cancer patient and that in itself probably added at least six months to my build.  Also, don't underestimate her, this to me is a big  boat.  You are going to need some room to work. 

I bought the plans as soon as they became available and started very soon after that.  It is hard to say, but i think that i was the first to get going.  Because of some special circumstances I diverged from the plan mostly by adding a significant amount of floatation to the hull, as well as rigging her with a gaff main.  I am a total gaffer guy.  If anyone has any questions about the build, the byyb thread should answer them.  If not, I will be happy to do so here.  

Al

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.