Boat Registration for Kayak Sailing Kit

Has anyone ever had to register their kayak after they put the CLC Sail Rig on it?

I asked my local kayak club if anyone kayak sails on Lake Norman here in North Carolina.

One person responded that if I put a sail on my kayak, I have to register it.  Another person noted that the mast is instantly insteppable.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Boat Registration for Kayak Sailing Kit

Mr. Google is your friend.

From the NC Wildlife Resources Commission web page for registration and titling:

1. All sailboats used on public waters must be registered if longer than 14 feet at the load waterline.

2. Rowboats, canoes, kayaks, and rafts moved only by oars, paddles, or the current do not need registration in North Carolina

So as long as it has no sail, your kayak needs no registration. I'm guessing that's what the response about an "instantly insteppable" mast was all about. When you see the water cops, just unstep the mast and turn into a kayak again. Good luck with that :-)

More seriously, how long is your kayak? Remember, the load waterline (LWL) can be significantly shorter than the length overall (LOA). Any boat  15 ft LOA or less, like the Woodducks. is probably close enough that the water cops won't bother to measure unless they're in a really grouchy mood. 

Best bet is to contact them, explain what you have and see what they say. Their contact info (again, from the web page) is:

By telephone at 800-628-3773, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Good luck,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.