Tenderly Seat/floorboard Stain

Does anyone know what color/type of stain was used on the floorboards and seats of this Tenderly Dinghy?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIWnygcBdrM

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tenderly Seat/floorboard Stain

Could be Behlen Blood Red or perhaps Medium Red.  Either of these might be able to get the color in the video.  You do need to use alcohol based stains - not oil based stains - on anything that will be coated with expoxy.  You have some control over the actual color during application.  Darker by allowing a good wet coat to sink in, lighter by wiping off with an alchohol soaked rag if you think you've gone too dark.  This color control can become necessary if you're trying to match tones of different types of woods - for instance a solid board seat vs. a plywood panel.  The color always gets a bit darker once you coat with varnish or epoxy.

Remember that the stain must go on before the wood gets ANYWHERE NEAR anything that will prevent absorption of the stain - all all pieces must be stained before gluing of any joints, etc..  After doing any form cuts, edge round-overs, etc. on the bare wood, I've found it best to stain all pieces that will be stained, then give one top-coat of epoxy, then proceed with final finishing and construction/assembly only when everything else is "done."  Even so you'll probably find yourself sanding through the stain in a few small areas, but with careful touch-up with stain and a new epoxy top coat you can keep things matched. The areas that need any touch up will be limited because the stain was protected by the epoxy.  When ready, sand lightly to proceed with finish as you would with all other areas of your boat. 

Contrarily, if you have any glue anywhere near the wood prior to staining you'll end up with blotches that don't take stain and can't be hidden or fixed without a huge amount of sanding or other effort.

The stain scheme on the Tenderly in the video would be relatively easy to achieve, as each stained piece is separate and independent and can be completed prior to assembly of the boat.

And I forgot to say the Behlen stains are available here on the CLC website.  I've been happy with the Bood Red on several projects.  

Thank you for your response and guidance!  Very helpful.  I was wondering if you could post a photo of one of your projects with the Blood Red stain?   It would be nice to see an example.

Behlin Blood Red on my Petrel Play.

Bubblehead gives excellent advise.  More on stains here:    https://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/staining-your-kayak.html

If that's the CLC shop Tenderly (which I'm pretty certain it is), the stain is actually Behlen Solar Lux Medium Brown Mahogany.  I only know for sure because I made my to match.

It took me about a pint and a half to do the seats, and floorboards (& the supports mounter to the seat fronts). Be careful sanding after you epoxy! if you sand through, it only takes another millisecond to get through the stain, requiring touchups! This is especially easy to do on the edges...

Best

P

Beautiful boat, Mark!  Thanks for posting.   But  I now think that the Blood Red is not the stain used on the Tenderly.  

Thank you for your input, Pippy.  I'll check into the Medium Brown, but it sure looks like there is a red hue on that Tenderly, (but not Blood Red.)

I was a bit surpised to find out it was just a medium brown too, but I guess the emphasis is on the mahogany - it does have a lovely red undertone.

It looks great!

P

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.