Painting name on kayak

Hi. I have a Shearwater Sport that I built some six years ago, and I now want to name her after my recently born granddaughter. Obviously this is WAY beyond finishing. Do I need to sand away the varnish, paint the name, and then re-varnish? That seems to be the only logical solution at this point. Suggestions?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Painting name on kayak

Use vinyl graphics from a local sign shop and apply directly to the varnished surface. 

Or get CLC to make up the vinyl letters and/or graphics for you.

They say "three sizes, eight fonts and six colors", but are willing to work with you if that's not enough.

Another alternative is to print it out on rice paper, sand down to epoxy, epoxy the rice paper to the boat and re-apply the varnish. Rice paper is usually locally available at craft shops. Depending on how things work out, you may end up having to revarnish the whole boat. Vinyl's a lot less work for you. Here's the official CLC video on how to apply vinyl lettering, useful whoever makes the letters for you.

Congrats on the granddaughter!

Laszlo

Definately go vinyl.  There are a number of online sources with virtually unlimited choices of colr, font and size.

I got mine from BoatUS.  Lots of choices and the instructions were complete and easy.

https://flic.kr/p/YaSXiu

Come on folks. Show a little loyalty. CLC provides fast service and excellent vinyl lettering.

I used them when I launched my Peeler Skiff almost 5 years ago. Stored outdoors  and used exclusively on saltwater they still look brand new --- and you don't have to sand anything.

Cheers,

Dick

Oh, don't get me wrong, CLC had nice lettering also when I looked for mine.  But, I'm also a BoatUS member, I liked the typeface I saw there, and had a special members offer.  That said, I've been buying nearly all my paint and varnish at CLC along with epoxy for years. Their prices are almost always better than any of the other suppliers in the Annapolis area.  Now that I've moved up to CT, I am a bit disappointed to only have found West Marines up here.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.