Crack in epoxy after one year

Hi all

My NE Dory has developed a longitudinal crack in the epoxy on the inside, about 25cm long, in the middle of one of the strakes. It’s above the level of the fiberglass, so just through varnish and epoxy but down to wood. I’ve only just noticed it while getting the boat out for the summer (southern hemisphere). Not sure why it has happened, but it’s been stored in a shipping container which can get quite hot. It hasn’t sustained any blows or crashes as far as I know. Any idea about the cause or the cure? 

Pete 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Crack in epoxy after one year

Pete,

I don't know enough about the structure of the NE Dory to give you a detailed answer, but I think you're on the right track with the temperature.

It sounds to me as if the hull may have had some residual stress from the build, maybe a little edge set or something. If the epoxy was softened by the heat, the wood was able to move and relieve the stress, cracking the epoxy and varnish.

Another possibilty is that there was some sort of pressure on the boat, deforming the hull in the hot container.

Was the temperature above 50 C? Are you also seeing the weave telegraphing through the epoxy?

The good news is that this is easy to fix. Just wet sand the varnish off the base epoxy, sand the crack down to bare wood and paint on new coats.

Envying your January summer,

Laszlo

RE: Crack in epoxy after one year

Thanks Laszlo

i was concerned about her effects. The container does get hot so I will add some more sun screening. There is no glass fiber where the epoxy has cracked, only the lower part of the hull is glassed. I will repair as you advised.   Happy New Year!  Pete 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.