First sanding.

Building a NE Dory. First kit boat I've done. I'm about at that point where I start sanding the hull prior to fiberglassing.. Page 57 says "You'll sand the hull smooth". Does that mean I keep the overlaped boards "stepped" and smooth in between seams on planks 1,2, 3, and 4. Or do I sand the seams "smooth" so that there is no stepping and instead a flat surface across the planks?

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: First sanding.

The steps are traditionally known as lapstrakes (because they are strakes that form from the overlapping of the planks) and are a very important design feature of the boat. They give the hull rigidity and help keep spray piut of the boat. They also accent the hull shape and give the boat its classic good looks, You really don't want to sand them off. Look at the pictures in the gallery and you'll see them on every NE Dory.

What the instructions mean by sand smooth is to get the surface free of any splinters and protrusions that could snag the fiberglass cloth.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Great looking Dory Lazlo! Your kick up rudder looks like it extends a bit deeper than the stock rudder. Is it more aggressive for steering? If so I might just have to make that a winter project.  Are you towing that thing with your bike?    

Sorry Mike,

That's not my Dory. It's picture from CLC's NE Dory gallery, sent in by the actual builder. It just happened to be the first one I found that showed the lapstrakes really well. I never intended to try and take credit for someone else's lovely boat.

The caption reads:

Matthew L. bikes his newly built Northeaster Dory to the local ramp for launch. 

Laszlo

They raced a traditionally built bronze-age Viking dragonship against a fiberglass racing sloop and the Vikings won!  After very careful analysis, they discovered that the construction method of the dragonship created numerous lapstrakes at the waterline, which trapped air in each groove, which reduced drag considerably.  In boundary layer theory, this is called attached turbulence.  The same reason the cloth on the leading edge of my hang glider in college was a very rough mesh.  How cool is that?!!!

Ahh, I see. Well its still a pretty boat!   

CaptainSkully >> They raced a traditionally built bronze-age Viking dragonship against a fiberglass racing sloop and the Vikings won!

And here I thought it was because the Vikings were shooting flaming arrows at the crew of the sloop.

Laszlo

They didn’t need flaming arrows, their Vikings. They would just intimidate them into submission!!   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.