Bottom paint on a NE Dory

Hi all --

It's getting time to think about painting the hull on my Dory.  (Seems like a few others are at this same stage.)  I was considering Brightsides -- but since my dory will be moored in the lake for several weeks at a time that doesn't seem like a good idea.  So I'm looking at bottom paint -- maybe Trilux 33 per John's suggestion.  Can I get away with only applying bottom paint to the bottom and first side panels and then Brightsides above that?  The illustrated waterline on the sloop schematics (p. 4, Dory manual) looks like it's slightly above the first side panel.  I would prefer not to have too much bottom paint above the waterline.  If I can figure out how to do it, I might trace the waterline and use that as the paint bondary rather than the side panel joint.  And -- how does varnish hold up to continued immersion?

Thanks,

Dave M.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bottom paint on a NE Dory

My experience with varnish is that it will not stand up to contiual immersion in water.  I don't think there is any varnish that is impermeable and over time water will seep in and lift it from the wood. 

Bottom paint usually comes up to a point above the waterline since any added equipment or material kept in the boat will lower the hull below the waterline and if that happens, then the topside paint will fail. This is a safety margin to protect the topside parin.

I'm beginning to rethink this.  The hull is light enough that I should be able to easily pull it up on a frame (with rollers and bunks) that will support the boat out of water.   I'll need the frame anyway to modify the trailer that I'll be using to tow the boat. Then I can go back to plan A -- just using Brightsides.  

Dave M.

You might consider a hard bottom paint like Pettit Vivid which even comes in white. That would give you the option to keep her in the water at times without worry. This was reccomended by Andy Miller of Boatworks Today, who's opinion I respect. http://boatworkstoday.com

Also, Lou Sauzedde shows how to strike the waterline http://youtu.be/dEoi2E05zDU

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.