wood duck 10: choice and size of paddles

Hi Folks!

I am very close to finish my wood duck 10 kayak. I would like to make paddles by myself. I am thinking to follow this way http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/Chap17.htm   any other ideas?

What is an optimal lentgh of paddels should be for wood duck 10? (My height is 1.75m.).

kind regards 

FlyingDutch

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: wood duck 10: choice and size of paddles

In my opinion, the type of paddle has less to do with the kayak than it does the paddler. With consideration that the WD is a wider boat.  At Conecopia I got custom fitted for an Adventure Technology Odysey paddle which set me back over $200.  However, I also picked up the Greenlad Paddles Step by Step book from CLC for about $20.  This shows you exactly how to get the right paddle length.  I bring this up becuase the method detailed in the book is EXACTLY what AT used to "custom fit" me. The ideal length for me as calculated by AT was identical as the calculations from the greenlad paddle book.  So if you check out this reference, the "ideal" paddle is not related to how tall you are but to your arm (wing) span and grip span (loom length).  As a final example, both my wife and I are exactly 6 feet tall.  However, she has longer arms/larger wingspan than me.  So her ideal paddle is longer than my ideal paddle.  Only takes a couple measurements to figure out.  Buy the book, it is worth it.  I am already working on my first homemade greenland paddle.  BTW - 230cm

There are a number of things that can affect paddle length.

Most Woodduck users will be using the Low Angle style or touring most of the time. The other style is High Angle used mostly by white water paddlers.

Then the size of the paddler. This could be heitght. arm span, or torso length.

The width of the boat is another factor so the paddle stem does not wear against the deck.

The height of the seat above the bottom of the kayak may also affect the length of the paddle since the angle to the water will change.

A sizing sheet is a good palce to start but like buying hiking boots, you need to wear them to get a really good fit. So if you can test the paddle on the water. And if possilbe for a couple of hours.

Other factors to consider will include blade desigh, blade size, construction material, etc.

Kayak Paddle Length - Picking the Right Size ​

Flying Dutch,

There are many many ways to make paddles. The link you quoted is a good way. If you like hand tools, I would recommend a greenland syte paddles. I have made many and they are fun to make and great to use. As for length, folks will quote rules, but everyone has their favorite size for their favorte boat.

Search this forum for paddles and greenland paddles and you will find many discussions on why this that and the other is a great way to make and finish paddles.

have fun exploring the world of paddle biulding - it can be additive. Try different lengths and decide your favorite.

Joel

Your reference was interesting. I recommend using a ferrule if you intend to make a European style paddle. The one pictured in your reference is to us a European style. The decision to make the paddle feathered or straight depends more on conditions than normal paddle preference. For example it is nice to have a 60 degree feather so the "air" blade is feathered to lower wind resistance during a windy paddle. A straight paddle, both blades same angle, is good when doing surf launches, white water, ruddering, etc. The adjustable ferrule makes it possible to have one paddle change to conditions.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/kayak-paddles/kayak-paddle-ferrule.html 

In my world 30" beam is large. So I would tend to have a longer paddle. My 205cm would be awkard since I tend to be high angle. The 230cm would be better and  clear the hull better.

As stated earlier the WD paddlers tend to be low angle easy paddlers. But the best advise was to try many paddles to find the one you like. Then again you should have more than one paddle, ie spare. So don't be afraid to experiment.  If you can make a light $7 paddle like the article by all means go ahead............. make two.

The Internet has a number of sites on building your own Greenland paddle. Its fun and cheaper than buying a paddle and completes your "homebuilt" project nicely. Woodburning a logo, name or signature onto the paddle adds a personal touch.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.